Chapter 96: A Shooting Star

Braires

Carefully, I lifted the bronze ball out of the fires of Mount Etna. The glowing ball was bright, a thousand colors pulsing from it. Swiftly I let the ball cool down into the water from the river Phlegethon. A fiery hiss came from the water as I lift the star out of it. Steam rises from the ball. The light pulses brighter. Stronger.

"The star needs to be cooled three times or it won't hold," I muttered to myself. The ball hisses again. It became harder to look at the ball as it started to shine brighter and brighter. Again the ball disappears in the water and rises from it once more.

It now was pure light. My eyes could hardly look at it directly. It contained the full spectrum of the rainbow and everything in between. I held the star in the tong proudly. My work is finished. It took more than a week to gather the materials and an additional three days of reforging the Symbol of Power. It is now done. Life has returned to the star.

As I held it a bit higher, I felt the tong vibrating. It began as soft vibrations but I could no longer hold it as my entire being began to shake. Even the Mountain was shaking so heavily from the star. I let the star go and it soared away. Through rock and lava, it sped away to a place that Pistis wanted it to go.

Bianca di Angelo

We sat in silence as we ate dinner. It was mostly silent between us as Calypso was thinking about something. I remembered what her punishment is. The Fates punished her to have visitors from time to time and every time they would leave. Each time she is forced to fall in love but see them leave. Never to be seen again. I find it the cruelest punishment I could think of. How many times has she seen them leave?

"Brave one? How long does it take for a wish to come true? It has been two days," Calypso asked.

"I don't know. It may take a few minutes. It may take a year. I guess it depends on the wish."

"I see. It seems I have to wait a bit longer..." she says with a sigh, "My wish is pretty big. I think it will take some time for Asteria to grant it."

"Asteria has faded, Calypso. For a very long time. It must have been... more than three thousand years ago?" I say. This is hard. She has been her for more than three thousand years? Gods and she only has the company of these invisible servants? I would go crazy.

"Faded?! Oh no... I really liked my niece. But that means my wish won't be granted..." she says softly. Calypso looks devastated as she seems to be holding in tears.

"There's nothing to worry about," I start to say, placing a hand on her hand. "My sister took over the role. You'll see your wish granted."

"What's your sister like? Any chance she would grant it? I hope me being a Titan does not... anger her," she says. Wait, she is a Titan? Gods, I am trying to court a Titan?! I should pet myself on the shoulder to congratulate myself on the balls I apparently have.

"I don't think so. She is friendly with Hecate, so I guess she doesn't hold many grudges against all the Titans. Maybe Kronos and some of the other ones, but that is a whole other bag."

"I guess she doesn't like my father. He wasn't the greatest person. I know he wasn't," Calypso says through a sigh. I awkwardly scratch the back of my head a little. That is putting it lightly. Doesn't matter who, but lay a finger on Annabeth and you will receive her anger.

"Yeah, she really hates him. I am sorry to tell you. Atlas hurt her wife, Annabeth. She does not forgive anyone that would hurt her, but I am sure she will help you. It is just that she is still adjusting to her new role. Keep faith, Calypso!" I try to say to lift the girl up. She smiles and nods a little. Her gaze goes to the outside.