Chapter 110: Mother Night and Lady Aphrodite

Aileen "Pistis" Corvius

This place is still looking very much like a nightmare. Even so, I feel less evil as I traverse Tartarus. Kronos truly made this place feel evil, not that it feels 'good', but a bit better nonetheless. Now I just hope that Lady Night will welcome me. I am a 'bastard' daughter, from a certain point of view.

With each passing meter, the surroundings become darker and darker. Darkness as deep as the night starts to engulf me as I retrace the steps I took all those years ago. I wonder whether Nyx will even show herself to me. She didn't look too pleased the last time we met. Only my connection to Zagreus kept me and Annabeth alive.

I can at least safely say that this place is still terrifying. That was mainly due to the ominous dark mansion in the distance. It is off-putting without effort and if I was still mortal, I would probably be trembling. I stopped walking as a dark shadow emerges in front of me. The swirling tendrils slowly start to form the chalk-white skinned protogenos Nyx. Mother Night came.

"You returned. It has not been five years... Ah, the Titaness' stain. I wonder though, why have you come?" Her cold and stern voice says. It was still sharp and domineering, even so, the sharper edges weren't there anymore. Her tone is a bit softer from what I can remember.

"I have come to understand that you have become part of me. In a way you've given birth to me which makes you my mother. It is only fair to meet again, wouldn't you say?"

Her bright yellow eyes narrow as she looks at me. For a minute she just stares at me, intently studying me in a way I probably couldn't even understand. Her presence is still overwhelming, even as I have become one of the strongest Goddesses according to some. Nyx is still far more powerful.

"I see. One could see it that way," she says, the sternness was gone. Her gaze looks softer as well, or I assume as I see her relax a bit. "May I?" She asks as she holds a hand out. Great, she wants to search my soul again... I rather not, but I feel no bad intentions, which is a bit comforting.

"Very well. I hope nothing... will happen to me?"

Nyx smiles, which was utterly shocking to witness. She was actually smiling. It was now that I felt the ominous pressure from my surroundings ebbing away. I could almost describe it as comforting. Very... strange but also wonderful.

"I will never hurt my children. You may not be planned, but you're still mine. Granted, you do not fit in with many of my other children. Perhaps with Hemera," she says, but it seems she does not like Hemera. I can see why that would be the case. Huge difference between those two, but I am convinced she loves her daughter.

"I guess so... Then go ahead, Lady Nyx."

Nyx glides forward and touches my forehead. Her cold fingers press against my skin as I feel her searching me. Prodding and seeing what I am made of, what I am. Nyx is scanning me to understand what I have become. I am not sure what exactly is happening, but from the smile on her face, I think I passed whatever expectation she had.

"I was making sure you are truly mine. Part Hades, part me. My child," Nyx says with a pleased expression. "And now tell me. Why have you come? I know it is not only to introduce yourself to me."

"The Titans. A battle will start very soon. The war between Gods and Titans will truly start in earnest. I was hoping you could help us," I say to her. My hopes of her joining melted away just like the smile on Nyx's face. It was almost turning into a scowl.

"No, child. I will not. You may join and take sides, but do so at your own peril. I will not interfere. You may take shelter here if things go sour for you. As long as you are here, you will be protected by me. That is all you will get from me," she says. Her voice made it clear her decision is final. Some Gods may be swayed, but in this case, I am very sure she will not budge.