Chapter 68: Escaping

All the mortals were running away in fear as they try to get out of the room. A red light filled the room while a siren was blaring in the room. It would be best to leave as soon as possible. Not only because human guards will come our way, but also because of what Percy said. Someone is sending us an army. We better get a lot of distance between them and us.

Grover was crouching down next to Percy, who is slowly getting up. Zoe had a rather confused and conflicted expression on her face for once. I suspect she would never have thought someone would willingly shield her from danger, except for the Hunters, perhaps. Thalia soon calls out to us.

"We better get a move on. If Percy is right, more are on the way! We best get back to the car," she says. "I agree, Percy good to go?" I ask the boy.

"Yeah, yeah, man, getting tossed into a wall hurts," he says while joining the group. "Perfect, let's get back to the car."

"The humans will come soon, a speedy exit is warranted," Zoe chimes in as she eyes Percy briefly. Her face seems more neutral, guarded. "Besides, do not forget the spoils of war, Lady Aileen. You have rightfully earned it," she says.

"It was Percy's idea to target the mouth, so it should go to him. And his valiant behavior should be rewarded," I say and hold the fur out to him. Zoe sighs softly but nods in agreement. "I agree. Thank you, Percy. If it weren't for thee... my life would have come to an end."

"We're in this together, Zoe. And we're friends, right? Come, we best get going." Zoe was frowning as she watches Percy exit with Grover and Thalia in tow. I follow suit as Zoe jogs next to me. I think I heard her mutter something to herself, but I couldn't catch what it was. We soon huddle into the car once more and speed off in a western direction.

"Percy, any damage on you that we should worry about?" I ask with concern. My eyes look at the backseat through the rear mirror. Zoe also glances at Percy with a little worry that is able to be seen through her guarded expression. Grover too was looking at Percy, even looking him over to see if he saw anything.

"I am fine, maybe a bit sore. The claws didn't scratch me, so I was lucky," he says. Zoe remained quiet as she eyes him. Grover sighs in relief. "You're lucky. Those claws are nasty when they cut in you," Grover says.

"Good. Well, after we cross the river, we should have put enough distance between us and them," I say as I start to cross the bridge. "Is it just me, or is that helicopter following us?" Thalia asks as she points to the sky. "They must have marked the car! We need to ditch this car," Percy says as he looks at the helicopter.

I glance to the sky to see the helicopter. It was sleek and colored in a black color. One could easily see it was one that the U. S. military employs, but only this one is very much similar to the one that attacked us at Westover Hall.

"How would the General be able to have mortals fighting for him?" Percy asks Zoe. She looks at the helicopter with disgust and thinking of a way to get rid of it. "Mercenaries. As distasteful as it is, they will fight for any cause as long as they are paid," Zoe answers.

"And they do not see the monsters surrounding them?"

"I do not know how much the Mist hides, but I think it does not matter. Mortals can be as bad as monsters, or worse," Zoe says with bitterness in her voice.

"All well and good, but we need to get rid of the Helicopter. Zoe, can you drive?" I ask. She turns her head to me in confusion, but nods in response. "I can, why?

"I need you to switch with me. I can give us a chance to shake the helicopter of our tail. There will be red lights coming soon, when we stop, we switch. Got it?"

Unlikely HeroesOn viuen les histories. Descobreix ara