53 - Baby Moon

- EDEN -

When Luna was told in her emergency room visit last week that she was required to be on bed rest until she was ready to deliver, Nella and I had to do some quick reshuffling of our original plans for her baby shower, some of which were a little more active than bed rest requires.

Not that we didn’t already have it well-covered, but Wolfe gave us some money to make sure that we made it an extra special day for Luna given this recent, unexpected change in her very late third trimester planning. He very stubbornly insisted that we organise catering instead of making poor Luna worry about helping us with the cooking which we were originally really excited to do together. Between the three of us, we love baking and cooking, and sharing food with the people we love most, Luna especially. It’s in her blood as a second generation Italian-Australian.

Wolfe also went down to a flower wholesaler first thing in the morning of the baby shower and dropped what looked like an extra couple hundred dollars on natives to help decorate their house into the floral wonderland we’re currently standing in, greeting Luna’s arriving guests. He’s honestly a darling, and his excitement over the upcoming birth of his first baby is palpable. 

Being the not traditional couple that they are, they decided they didn’t want to bring gender into their baby shower, in their own baby who they decided against finding out the sex of, or the attendees currently occupying their house. All the important men in Luna and her baby’s life are here too.

I asked her when we found out she was on bed rest until the birth whether she wanted to reduce the numbers of people attending, which, considering she’s a joy to be around and attracts people left right and centre, she simply refused, unable to think of anyone she wouldn’t want here celebrating with her. Her family, friends, colleagues, a few close customers, including her surprisingly very clean and well dressed houseless friends who she’s known for years now, cutting their hair and cleaning their clothes and blankets at Moonlight on weekends before she opens for the paying customers.

I have a feeling Heath is responsible for their well-put together appearance, including what looks like new clothes. He did, after all, live with them all on the streets before he got his job at Moonlight and some support to secure his own housing. Seeing as they all arrived together, everyone looking much cleaner than usual, decked out in fresh clothes and carrying a giant, oversized plush toy that looked very much like Medusa for the baby which I would love to know where they found, I make the assumption that Heath took it upon himself to make sure they were presentable and feeling comfortable being amongst Luna’s family and closest friends. The pride in their facial expressions and tone when they surrounded Luna in an almost-crushing hug and saw how excited she was they were here was so truly beautiful to witness.

We had her perched in a rocking chair that her parents and twin sister Siella bought her for the baby, flanked by Wolfe on one side, ever present and willing to do her every bidding when she needed something, and her mother on the other. Nella and I were wandering around, taking care of everything else. I was on food and tissue duty, ensuring to keep a stock of pocket tissues handy to help mop up Luna’s tears, which were free-flowing most of the day. And Nella was responsible for the coordination of the games we were running. Of course, we had to find a few new, creative, seated and quiet games to what we originally planned considering poor Luna could no longer participate in many of them given her strict doctors orders and Wolfe’s unwillingness for her do anything against what they said, but I feel like she was still having a good day.

At least I hope she is. She will never say it out loud, but I know my friend, and I know she’s scared. She's terrified something will happen to the baby. Just as I can see the same fear in Nella who, despite trying to maintain her usual happy-go-lucky attitude, is so worried about Luna. She knows better than I imagine anyone here what it’s like to worry about your unborn baby, and rightfully so in her situation. Luna’s scare last week really frightened her, perhaps triggering her own memories and experiences of losing her children to miscarriage, and I keep catching her peeking glances at Luna and checking in with her to make sure she’s okay.