35 - I'm more a leather and feathers kind of guy

- MILES -

Grayson’s wife had organised for us all to go out for drinks for his birthday this weekend, so majority of the gym crew had hauled their asses out to a bar by the beach, and were a few drinks in when I heard Eden’s laughter emerging from the direction of the toilets while I waited for the next round to be poured.

“You seriously want me to pull the get out of date-jail free card on this guy by lying that you’re going into labour and that I’m your doula?” I overheard Eden saying through her laughter to the person on the other end of the phone. I have no idea what a doula is, but I made the calculated assumption it was Luna she was on the phone to, and they were deliberating on an escape route from a date Eden’s on by the sounds of it. "Yeah, I guess that’s true. As far as excuses go, it’s actually not a bad one I guess. Most guys not in a relationship with kids would likely cringe at that and not ask any more questions."

She’s probably not wrong on that.

“Honestly, Luna. This guy is like the dating equivalent of period cramps: so painful that no amount of drugs could make me not want to rip out my own uterus. I'd sooner cram tampons into my ears than have to go back to the table and listen to him any longer.”

I could hear Luna's distinctive laughter through Eden's phone which she had held from her ear a fraction, presumably to save her hearing while Luna cracked up the other end of the line, she was so loud. My own audible laugh was probably just as loud as Luna’s and it drew Eden’s attention instantly.

She was still on the phone to Luna so waved at me briefly before pointing to the phone to explain her reason for lingering and saying hi. “I’ve just seen some guys from my gym here, so maybe I’ll just enlist them for help if it gets any worse,” she said quietly into her phone as she continued walking back to her table and the date sitting there waiting for her.

The simple fact that she acknowledged me at all was enough to coast me through this evening on a high, which probably would have been just fine if I didn’t know she was here on a date with someone that wasn’t me, and I was able to control my brain enough to not look over at her every other minute to see whether her date was improving. It certainly didn’t look like it, but he might have some tricks up his sleeve to sway her yet.

“You’ve got it bad, man,” Grayson said, catching me distracted and watching Eden for like the fiftieth time this evening. “What’s the worst that could happen if you go say hi to her?”

“And interrupt her date? Dude, I’m not that much of a pathetic asshole.”

“And sitting here watching her like a stalker all night is any better?” He has a point.

“What about Wolfe though?”

“What about him? She’s a big girl and I’m sure she doesn’t need her brother’s approval.” I looked at him, presuming he didn’t actually mean it because we both know Wolfe well enough to know he’d try harder than any brother I’ve ever known to insist on having dating approval rights.

Grayson suddenly jumped out of his seat, his eyes trained in the direction of where Eden was sitting behind me. "Look. She’s getting up and heading to the bar. Here's your chance. Make your move, stud," Grayson joked, turning me on my heels, gripping my shoulders in encouragement and nudging me forward in the direction of the bar where Eden was walking to solo, leaving her date behind at their table.

I'm far too drunk to not know better than doing so while she was so clearly on a date, but not smart enough to refuse an opportunity to speak to her without Wolfe around, watching her like a guard dog.

“You look and sounded before like you’re having a good time?” I said sarcastically while sliding up next to Eden at the bar as she waited for the bartender to mix up her next drink.