17 - It says more about them than it does about me

- EDEN -

I've been in Byron Bay for a couple weeks now, camping out in Nella and Mason's spare bedroom with Hades, who, thankfully, is adapting to life with me as his human so well, and who is absolutely loving living with their cat Wisp. The adoption lady wasn't kidding when she said that Hades loved cats, and with all the time he's been spending playing and hanging out with a gentle Medusa, he is so settled and calm, which makes me feel like we were meant to be as much as I was supposed to return home.

He doesn’t even mind so much when I go in to work at Moonlight for Luna, with her introducing me to her regular clients and what they like done to their hair so her transition into maternity leave isn’t so jarring for them. I’ve actually even started collecting some of my own clients already, with word spreading around amongst friends by those who have come in and liked my work.

It’s just nice being seen and appreciated and valued, as all of these people and experiences are leaving me feeling each time. I don’t think I can say I’ve felt this welcome and refreshed in a long time.

Helping that refreshed feeling along is the routine of exercise I’ve fallen into since returning home. 

On the mornings when Wolfe hasn’t got his regular boxing class, he’s insisting on getting me up at the crack of dawn to go running with Hades and Medusa. And on the glorious mornings when Wolfe is thankfully occupied at his boxing class at the gym, Hades and I get a brief reprieve from Wolfe’s new torture in the form of a simple, leisurely walk before I start work, sometimes accompanied by Luna if she is up early enough to head down to the park or beach nearby to do her usual yoga routine, now much more heavily focussed on pregnant woman positions and movements. Not being pregnant, I can still appreciate the benefit it has on my wellbeing, and want also to support my friend, who is using the time to speak to me about every emotional thing I’ve missed while living in Melbourne, and investigating what my hopes are now I’m back.

This morning---Christmas morning---I woke to find Wisp asleep under Hades' chin in his bed, curled up together like the sweetest of friends that they are, and for a moment, I considered just staying here with these two all day and celebrating Christmas alone instead of heading to my mother’s house for lunch with the family. Nella and Mason had headed to Mason’s parents house in the country the night beforehand for a couple days, so I had the place to myself and was cat-sitting Wisp until they got back.

My mother had extended me an invitation via text to her house for Christmas lunch... two days ago. Prior to that I was going to be spending the afternoon with Luna’s family, who would have put together a much more spectacular spread of traditional Italian foods than my mother’s barbeque, green salad and pavlova.

I kind of wish I had declined her offer, and I was already sure I’d regret it before I even got there, but I felt like it was the right thing to do, and family obligation and I go way back, despite how awful they’ve been to me over the past month.

Considering I’ve been ignored by most of the adults here except my grandfather, Penn and Elodie’s husband Spencer, and chose instead to seat myself at the kids’ table with Piper, I probably should have refused the invitation. But I also would have missed all the happiness that Hades is bringing Piper in being able to play with him for a couple hours, and that was worth my disappointed taste buds and sore back from the tiny table and chairs.

When I wished Elodie a Merry Christmas upon entering our mother's house, she turned her back on me and immediately started yelling at Piper to 'be careful with the unfamiliar beast,' presumably meaning Hades. I'm glad he doesn't understand English, and was so proud when Piper spoke up in defence of Hades, saying he was no beast, but her new best friend. He seemed pretty happy with the declaration, and I was amused to see Elodie storm off muttering under her breath when Piper refused to follow after her.