34 - Miles likes pizza. You like pizza. I like pizza.

- EDEN -

I guess my absentminded wondering recently about how Trey was doing the other day, in reflection on yet another disastrous date, must have manifested this into existence.

I'd received an online invitation to some of my old friends Carley and Mitch's wedding in a few months. Carley was a girl that Luna, Nella and I knew from trade school, and when I sent her a text message in response letting her know that Trey and I were no longer together, she replied saying she was sorry to hear that, and would I like her to contact him and let him know of his invite or would I be doing that myself, insinuating that she and her partner still wanted him to come even though we're no longer together.

I'd find it weird that they still want him to come, but Trey always got on with them best, and they were probably the only ones I'd say he really made an effort to get to know. If I had to guess, I'd have said it was because Mitch worked in the same industry as him and was originally from Melbourne.

Trey: Hey. So, Mitch called me earlier to let me know about the wedding, and that you'd told them we're no longer together. They still want me to come, and have offered me a plus one, so I'm hoping that's okay with you?

I knew this was coming when I told Carley to just give Trey a call and tell him about the wedding invite himself. I could have easily done it myself, but also, it's not really my responsibility. It's their wedding, and if they want him there, they need to extend that invite out to him.

I didn't really know what he would say, but I'm glad he felt able to message me himself to talk about it.

Eden: Hey, good to hear from you. Of course it's okay. It will be good to see you while you're here.

Trey: Okay, cool. I just wanted to check with you first before I agreed to it and invited someone.

I feel like he might be fishing for a reaction from me? But that could be me interpreting things in text with more emotion as is my natural way being such a sensitive person myself. I have a few feelings about hearing that he will be inviting a date already, but I guess that's only fair for him considering he'd be well and truly outnumbered coming up on his own given most of the people there will be my friends.

Eden: I look forward to seeing both you and your date when you get here in a few months then.

Trey: This probably isn't the best platform to have let you know this, but I've started seeing someone. We moved in together a week ago. I'm actually living in Geelong now.

Now this text absolutely has me feeling things, and not exclusively pleasant things.

I could be upset by the news that he is dating someone so seriously and so soon after we broke up, but really, being upset won't get me anywhere, nor for that matter will it be at all beneficial to Trey. I ultimately don't get a say in what he does and doesn't do with his life and his heart, which means I have no right to be affected one way or another with this news.

If anything---and I mean this is all sincerity---I'm genuinely happy that he's happy. That is, after all, all I ever wanted for him, especially when I made the decision to leave, and I'm truly glad and excited for him that he's found that.

Would I have wanted to be the first one in a new relationship? Probably. Am I shocked and slightly offended that he's moved away from his beloved city and all its career opportunities so soon to be with her, especially when I outright asked if he'd do the same for me and he chose his career over our relationship, absolutely. There's an element of ego and pride I haven't completely shed which has been pricked by this news just a tiny fraction, but I know it's not real and that it doesn't actually mean anything in the grand scheme of things, and that it will pass in time.