40 - Lecture time

- EDEN -

Wolfe is over helping me fix the brick retaining wall out back which was in shambles when I moved into my unit. But instead of just repairing it, he's helping me---or rather I'm trying to help him---turn it into a small, built-in pizza oven and barbecue set up, with Graham and Penny's permission of course. They came over a few weeks back when Wolfe and I were working on repairing the front fence, and got to talking about what else he could build with bricks and concrete. Wolfe regaled them with tales of all the built-in barbecues and pizza ovens he's created for his more wealthy clients, and Graham suggested we build one into the backyard if I'd like one.

I hadn't even thought to ask them about something like this, despite always wanting a barbecue for myself. Living in an apartment with Trey made it hard to ever have a traditional barbecue set-up because the balcony we had was so small that there just wasn't any space to have and use one there. And a pizza oven was obviously completely impossible. But who doesn't love a good wood fired pizza?

Wolfe, I think, agreed to Graham's offer before I did, talking about his favourite designs and what he could do with the space outside, and how he'd just take a few of the leftover bricks from work to get it done so it wouldn't cost me much in materials.

"As we said when you moved in, Eden, treat this home like it's your own," Graham had said. "If you want to make any changes, please go ahead. Our time will be up soon, and we haven't used that space in years. If you're willing to put the effort into making it comfortably liveable for yourself, we trust that you'll take good care of it and make sure it's tasteful."

And so here we are, Wolfe and I, with Hades and Medusa nearby flitting between faithfully watching on and playing with each other happily, building me an outdoor dining set up. I'm so excited to have my friends and Piper and Penn over for dinners when the weather's nice. 

Wolfe, after a long afternoon leading the effort to build this magnificence I'm now fawning over in my backyard, took a well-earned seat on the grass, arms propping him upright on the ground as he stared up at the sky, very obviously exhausted.

I threw him a beer which he promptly cracked open, chugging it down greedily. “Thanks, Edes.”

“No, thank you,” I said, unable to find the words to thank him in the way he deserved. He’s been such an incredible help with this whole move back to Byron and helping me set this place up. “I’m so grateful for your help with this, and I can’t wait to have all you guys over to enjoy it with me.”

“Yeah, not gonna lie, I’m a little jealous. This is one of the nicest ones I’ve done. I’d love to have one myself at home. Could easily picture myself with the kid on my hip flipping a burger or two,” he smiled serenely, envisioning his soon-to-be life. His joy and excitement about being a father is inspirational, and makes me miss my own more than ever, even more than usual considering tomorrow would have been his birthday, a fact I’ve been trying my best to keep out of my mind. “Might have a chat to Lune about it when I head home actually.”

“I’m surprised she hasn’t already had you build one, to be honest,” I said, pizza being one of Luna’s favourite things to cook. You should see how seriously she takes her pizza dough and sauce making.

Wolfe chuckled beside me, more so when Hades climbed into his lap and tried to get a taste of his beer. “Seriously, Edes, your pooch is a boozehound. He’s forever chasing after my beers.”

I laughed, knowing just how right he is. Hades is always trying to get to my beers when I have them. He’s obsessed.

“Got a question for you,” Wolfe said somewhat hesitantly, glancing sideways at me over Hades in his lap. “When I went to take a leak, I noticed two toothbrushes in your bathroom...” I didn’t respond, because there was no real question in what he’d said. Also, I feel like I’m about to get lectured, which I never really enjoy coming from anyone, let alone Wolfe. “He’s already leaving a toothbrush here?”