I can barely move, and I'm immensely grateful that when Graham and Penny upgraded the bathroom last, they put in the deepest, standalone bath they could find, because I feel like my late nightly Epsom salt soaks are the only reason why I wake up with any energy to start over again.

I put it out there to everyone that I was happy to host our quiet New Years Eve gathering now that everything was pretty much done, but I think they all took pity on me and how hard I've been working this week to get the house sorted that they simply refused, and we were instead gathered at Luna and Wolfe's just up the road. Hades and I walked there instead of driving as I planned to have a few drinks to unwind from my exhausting week, and I wasn't about to leave the poor guy at home knowing firstly, how much he adores Medusa, and secondly, how frightening it might be for him to be home alone when the fireworks go off later tonight.

I was glad when we arrived at their house to find it was only our core circle of friends that were coming. I didn't know whether anyone else had been invited, but was relieved to know I wasn't going to have to make an extra effort to be social with other people tonight. I'm so tired from all the work I've been doing that I'll be surprised if I even make it to midnight.

"The house is looking amazing, Eden," Mason said, passing me my first cider of the evening. "You've done such a good job, and in such a short amount of time too. If ever you want to change up your career, I'd employ you in a heartbeat. You're a lot more capable and hard working than half the apprentices I have at the moment."

"Hear hear," said Wolfe, tipping his own beer up in salute to me. "When you're ready to trade your comb and scissors for a trowel and cement, you let me know."

Luna was sitting beside him drinking the non-alcoholic wine she'd found to replace her uncle's home brew during her pregnancy, with Wolfe's arm wrapped around her growing belly and his hand resting there gently, hoping to feel his baby move. He does this a lot, I've noticed. His excited anticipation of being a father is overwhelmingly sweet. It reminds me of my own father, and how much he loved being a dad to Elodie and I. 

I still haven't spoken to her since my grandfather's birthday, if you could even call that particular interaction speaking. Our shared presence around each other when I made an appearance at our mother's for Christmas was unacknowledged, despite my verbally wishing her a Merry Christmas when I got there. I really don't think that's going to change any time soon, and I've accepted that. It's obviously not how I expected my relationship with my own sister to turn out, but I'm not going to compromise my own happiness for her or anyone else anymore. They'll just either have to come around to my decision to end my relationship with Trey, or accept the reality that I will simply refuse any relationship with them

It's a liberating feeling, reaching a point where you respect yourself enough to understand what's good for you and not, and having the courage to stand by your own convictions. I don't know what changed in me to be able to finally do this and not feel guilty for it, but I'll take it and won't complain. I'm now living as my authentic self, and perhaps not unsurprisingly, everything else is falling into place too.

"Now, now, you two," Nella said while getting up to clear our dishes, despite Luna's protests. "Don't you be getting any ideas of stealing our newest employee. Luna and I have been waiting years to get Eden back and to work alongside her again. Just because she is multi-skilled, doesn't mean you can try to poach her away."

Mason, getting up to help Nella clean away the remnants of our barbecue not already eaten by Hades or Medusa, wasn't giving up without a fight it would seem. "But what if Eden would prefer to work with Wolfe or I?" he winked over at me. "What if, like a new move, she's interested in a new career too? We pay pretty well, and there's always laughs to be had. She'd get a decent workout every day so could save some money by not needing a gym membership, unless she wanted one of course."