Chapter Sixty Eight

GRAYSON

GRAYSON

I woke up early this morning and took myself for a shower. My mind is still full of confusion, rage, hurt and sadness mixed into one. In fact, I think I barely got any sleep. I just stared out that damn window all night and watched the city go about its life.

I checked Mia on the hour. I checked she was breathing and wasn't overheating. I checked her pulse and made sure she didn't go cold either.

Drugs are fucked up. They fuck up your mind and body and you never know how they'll affect one person to the next.

Thankfully, Mia seems okay.

But she won't be okay when she wakes up. She'll hate me and she'll want out of here. She'll be flooded with regret but she won't want to talk it out with me. I know it.

We've fucked it all up.

I stand lifeless against the shower wall, allowing the hot water to cascade over my body as I close my eyes and debate how to tackle this next part.

I love Mia so fucking much—more than she even realises—but everything is so wrong and unhealthy. Every time we get it right, smooth out the ridges and jump what we think is the final hurdle, something else comes and fucking destroys us.

Worse and worse each time around.

I take the deepest breath I can manage, shut off the shower and throw a towel around my waist. I venture back out to the living area, looking straight over at my girl who's still peacefully sleeping off last night's decisions. Actually, I'm not even sure if she is my girl anymore.

I throw on a t-shirt and joggers and stalk back to the bed, careful to not wake Mia when I lean back against the headboard and watch the torrential rain outside.

I should probably make her some breakfast ready for when she does wake up. She'll be hungry and thirsty and low as fuck. And she'll probably resent me the minute she lays her eyes on me.

I hop back off the bed and pad to the kitchen. I take out a couple of eggs from the fridge and crack them open into a pan. Just as I pull some bread from the cupboard, I hear the duvet rustle.

My heart lurches into my throat.

I look up and see Mia just about opening her eyes. Her hair still falls perfectly down her shoulders and that little grunt she makes as she wakes will never fail to make my insides warm.

She spots the window, and I dip my eyes. When I look back up, she's looking right at me.

Not a smile in sight.