Chapter Fifty Three

I awake to the sensation of the bobbing water below us

I awake to the sensation of the bobbing water below us. With my head against Grayson's chest I inhale and smile, perplexed when I realise our boat has made it to the other side of the lake, the glorious manor now in close proximity.

     "The current took us here. Didn't need to lift an oar," Grayson says, smirking as he sits and plants a kiss onto my cheek from behind. "After you m'dear."

Wordless but happy, I smile and stand from the boat, clasping Grayson's hand as I step onto the gravel below. In front of me, the manor stands proudly, it's sand brickwork decorated with dancing ivy.

     "We're going here?" I ask, my curiosity spiked. "What is it?" It occurs to me that we could have driven here, but of course Grayson has to push the boat out the water in terms of arrival, no pun intended.

      "Cortleigh Manor," Grayson tells me. "A hidden gem of the Lake District. A hotel and spa of the finest accord. With the best views and grounds the area has to offer if you ask me."

The thought of a spa right now sends my oxytocin spiralling. God only knows I need to chill out now more than ever. "Grayson, you really didn't need to do this for me."

"Relax, Julian has it all under control." Grayson jumps from the boat, his expression cool.

     "Julian?"

     "Yeah. The same guy who owns the boats—my dad's friend."

Oh. Yes.

Nodding to confirm that I should have known, I allow Grayson to lead the way. Inside, tasteful decor screams vintage and well-kept, calm music satisfying every corner of the reception.

     "Welcome to Cortleigh Manor," a receptionist says warmly when we reach the desk. "Are you checking in?"

     "Julian has us booked in for a spa day. Grayson Cooper. He'll know what we're here for."

The lady nods, her red-coated lips upturned as she ventures through a back door in search of this Julian.

     "This place is lovely," I say, my eyes landing on the floral staircase to the left. "Have you been here before?"

     "Sure. We used to come all the time as a family. Dad being friends with Julian meant we got free entry and treatments."

     "Lucky," I murmur.

Ignoring my sarcasm, Grayson pulls me through a large wooden door where it seems the friendly receptionist is ushering us through. In the corridor we now find ourselves in, a grey haired suited man is ready to greet us. I assume this is Julian.

"Grayson my boy. Great to finally see you again! You've grown considerably since I last saw you as a gelled-haired teen."

For some reason I let out a giggle, and Grayson cups his hand over my buttocks, squeezing gently and earning a blush from my cheeks.