Chapter Sixty One

I feel like a wrecking ball has completely obliterated my whole body

As I stare at the bold, intimidating woman in front of me, it feels like every inch of my being has been ripped into a thousand little pieces.

Wordless and in shock, I stand and stare at Delilah.

Grayson's ex girlfriend.

I mean, what the hell is she doing here?! Grayson told me that she left a long time ago and they hadn't spoke since. What was I missing? Was I completely being lied to?

     "Who is it?" I hear Grayson call from inside.

At the thought of him coming to the door, my gut seems to throw up a whole load of bile into my throat. Because how am I meant to deal with this? After all this time, has Grayson really been seeing Delilah behind my back?

     "I dunno," Delilah says dryly, her hip cocked to the side. "Some girl."

Just as I take a step back, Grayson comes to the door, his eyes wider than the moon outside when he sees me.

    "Mia, what the hell are you doing here?"

I bite onto my lip, begging for the tear I can feel in the corner of my eye not to escape. But it does.

With a rage filling inside of me, I say, "Nothing anymore." I turn around, making to the elevator with no intention of turning back.

     "Mia wait!"

Grayson is right behind me, his hand grabbing my shoulder as I throw myself into the elevator, slamming my finger on the 'car park' button.

     "Mia it's not what you think," Grayson says firmly as the door shuts behind us.

I wipe a tear from my eye. "And what am I supposed to think?"

Grayson's dark eyes stare into mine, his mouth pressed together firmly. "She just turned up okay? I had no idea she was coming."

The doors slide open, and I side step Grayson into the car park, stamping through to get to the exit.

     "Mia!" Grayson calls again, his voice echoing about the otherwise silent, huge space of parked, expensive cars. "Mia wait please!"

As I reach the exit, I remember how I told myself that I'd change for Grayson, and for the sake of our relationship. I remember how I promised that I wouldn't jump to conclusions so easily, that I should always give Grayson the chance to tell his side of the story. I promised that I wouldn't be so insecure.

So I stop and take a breath, exhaling when Grayson stands firmly in front of me.

He grabs me in his large, strong hands. "Mia. Please let me explain."