Chapter Fifty One

I was surprised when I awoke at 8am this morning, having had slept through the night without waking once

I was surprised when I awoke at 8am this morning, having had slept through the night without waking once. Given everything I saw last night, on that damned phone that I never should have touched, I was ready for such a broken night of sleep. Still, I should be grateful for the energy, given I now have to decide what I do with the information.

As I stand in the huge en-suite, my dazed eyes zero in on my own face through the lit-up mirror, as if to take comfort in my own reflection; as if to silently seek advice from my own self.

But I don't know what to do. Not really. I shouldn't have snooped through Grayson's old phone, and the past is the past. But I don't know how easy I'll be able to let what I saw go. I'm annoyed really, because I was so looking forward to this weekend away and now it's been tarnished by something I wish I had never seen.

Oh, great. Why, just why? What was I thinking?

I don't even realise my eyes are shut when two large arms slither around my waist, locking tightly around my front. When I open my eyes again, they land on Grayson in the reflection, who seems more chipper than usual.

He draws in a scent from my neck and exhales, his gorgeous brown eyes finding mine. "Morning baby," he groans, his bare chest pushing against me. "You snuck out of bed quickly this morning."

I suck in a breath, fighting every urge inside of me to spit the truth to him. "Yeah. Thought I'd get up to catch the sunrise. Besides, me and Chloe are going for a walk." I pray that Grayson can't sense my obvious lies, but, let's be honest, this is Grayson, and I have to swallow a few times when I catch his cocked eyebrow in the mirror.

Of course he can sense my lies.

He turns to me, spinning me his way. "Baby, what's up? You don't seem yourself."

I force a smile, though I've never been good at that. "I'm fine," I lie again. "Just a bit dazed from the alcohol and all." Okay, that should be believable; I've never been good at handling my drink.

Grayson chuckles. "Oh my darlin'. I did worry about you last night," he kisses me on the cheek. "But Chloe told me you were fine. I wasn't going to leave you for too long though, I was up within the hour."

I smile again, half-heartedly. "Thanks. I was fine though."

"Too much champagne huh?" Grayson grips my face between his large hands. "Better stick to lemonade next time baby."

"Yeah, I guess you're right." I snigger. "Anyway, I need to get ready. Chloe will be expecting me soon."

"Hmm," Grayson grabs a towel from the cupboard, switching the shower on coolly. "Since when are you and my sister best friends?" He throws me a wink, peeling down his boxers which makes my body explode into a full blown heat.

     "We're not," I cough, dragging a hairbrush through my hair to divert my attention to anywhere else but Grayson's body. "But we get along and it's nice to see her again."