Chapter Forty Nine

The rain batters down on my back as I fly into various shops and pick out everything I need for our trip to the Lake District this weekend

Grayson said I could stay at his tonight in readiness for our early start tomorrow. Now I just need to finalise everything I need to take with me.

Back at home, I throw everything into a suitcase, blowing a breath when I'm ready with twenty minutes to spare.

"Any room for a tall blonde in there?" Hailey teases when I stand nervously at the doorway. "I won't be any bother, promise. Will do my own thing and buy my own alcohol."

I snigger. "You're staying here and preparing for your exams, remember?" I shoot my best friend a wink.

She huffs. "Fine. But don't have too much fun, okay?"

I giggle. "I'll try."

The whir of Grayson's Mercedes spikes my adrenaline. Outside, he has the boot open with a huge smile plastered across his face as he skips up to the open door.

"Hey baby." He licks his full lips and places them to my forehead with a meaningful pressure. "You all set?"

I nod. "All set!"

     "Bye guys!" Hailey groans with her arms crossed. "Don't have too much fun without me!"

Grayson and I laugh, saying in unison when we reach the car, "Bye Hailey!"

At Grayson's apartment, I throw one of Grayson's large t-shirts over myself, scoop myself under the duvet of his huge bed, and smile when he sticks on Netflix in the background.

With a smile, he joins me. Outside, London City is illuminated against the black backdrop, full of stars and beams of light.

"Thank you for agreeing to come this weekend," Grayson says, tucking a lock of my hair behind my ear. "My parents are so pleased. They can't wait to see you again."

I roll my eyes in the most loving way possible. "Grayson, stop thanking me." I curve my arms around his waist. "I can't wait." Placing a tender kiss onto his nose, I smile with contentment.

"My mother told me off you know," Grayson murmurs, his lip bent with mischief.

I frown. "For what?"

"Told me I'm stupid for letting go a girl like you. Told me that I needed to fix it and all."

I can't help but giggle. "You know? Now I like your mum even more." I peck Grayson on the nose.

     "Don't get cocky young lady." Grayson swipes his tongue against my lips. "Or I can make this holiday living hell for you." Then he winks, and I shudder.

***

The beaming sun graces the large window of Grayson's apartment, awakening me in a soothingly peaceful way. Then, as the realisation that our holiday has come around, I smile to myself.