Chapter Thirty Seven

The cold piercing my skin, I stare to the man in front of me; the man I barely believed to exist anymore until this very moment

My eyes are inflamed. My arms are a shaking mess. With each step this man takes towards me, the more I can no longer feel my own body under me. The more it feels like I'm just floating; living in a crazy dream that feels so real.

"Mia, give me the bag," he demands, his voice thick and just as I remembered it.

My eyes fly to the bag in my hands, the tiny pink pills inside blurred into one another. My tears hit the plastic, seeping downward and onto my bare legs.

In the background, fireworks still explode, and when I lift my head, so does my heart.

Grayson is standing in front of me. After all this time, he's right here. I know I'm not dreaming. After I've dreamt about him for so long, I know now that this is very real.

He's finally here.

And he's come for me. Nobody else. Me.

"Mia," he says, his black hoodie clung to his muscles. "Mia. Give me the bag now."

I lift my shaking arm, not caring when Grayson swipes the bag from my hand, his eyes rolling at the sight of the pink pills. In honesty, the fact that his skin touched mine again was enough to awaken the butterflies within me.

He's back. He's really back.

     "Jesus," he huffs, shoving the bag into his jeans pocket. "What the fuck Mia."

Finding strength, I stand myself, my arms crossed in front of me. "Grayson?" I ask, my lips trembling. "You came back for me?"

His hand moves to his jaw, his eyes pressing shut as his fingers run firmly across the stubble that still looks like it's been crafted by the Gods.

     "No Mia I—fuck!" He throws his hands to his hair, pulling at the roots as he watches me. "Mia you need to go home!"

My eyes wide, my heart hammering against my chest, I shake my head. "No."

Grayson looks to the floor, his tongue trailing against his lip. "You need to go home Mia."

"No!" I cry. "I only just found you again!"

"You need to stop looking for me!" He booms, his voice breaking. "You need to stop being so goddamn stupid!"

My chest jumps up and down, my heart crushing with each word that leaves his mouth. Why is he being like this? Is he not happy to see me like I am him?

"Grayson," I whimper, tears running down and over my lips. "What are you talking about? Why are you being like this?"

His back flies to a wall, his hands smothering his face. "I can't Mia," he cries. "I can't do it again. I can't do it anymore. I can't."