Chapter Six

If I hadn't had forced myself up at the crack of dawn this morning, then I may never had got up at all

If I hadn't had forced myself up at the crack of dawn this morning, then I may never had got up at all. Spontaneously, I decided to take myself to Westfield Shopping Centre, deciding that I would treat myself to some new work clothes—given my old ones are becoming dull and tatty.

Ignoring my constant headache and the occasional need to vomit, I carry myself from one large shop to another, but finding no luck in purchasing any new clothes. Maybe I don't fancy the clothes on sale in front of me, or maybe I don't actually have the energy to go and try on multiple pairs of trousers, skirts, and blouses. I decide it's the latter.

I left Hailey in bed this morning, so I haven't a clue how she's feeling today. I want to ask her what was up with her last night, and why she kicked off with that man, but I decide that it's probably best to wait until later on when both her and my hangovers have fizzled away. Hopefully.

When I leave what feels like the one-hundredth clothes shop I've been in today, I decide to take a break from the excessive walking and grab a drink at one of the restaurants in the food court. I order a sandwich and a glass of orange juice, and take my phone out so that I can check in on my Dad. As usual, I decide to let slip the fact that I have a raging hangover to him, and instead let him know that I'm out finding some work clothes—which is half true. My Dad sends a short but happy response, and I smile weakly, placing my phone onto the table in front of me. In some ways I wish I would have dragged Hailey here with me; the place is far too busy, but amongst the crowds I still feel somewhat lonely. I've never usually minded being by myself, and I've always been independent, but the fact that I'm so far from my family sometimes brings me down.

Without thinking, I pick my phone back up and dial Anderson's number. I briefly wonder why I decided to call him instead of sending him a text, but I realise that it's too late to go back on my decision when Anderson answers the phone after only two rings. "Mia?" He says, all too happily—as usual.

I smile, taking a large swig of my orange juice. "Hey Anderson," I croak.

I can practically feel his excitement through the phone. "Hey! I'm so glad you called. I thought I wasn't going to see you after—"

"I know," I sigh, cutting him off. I can't help but feel bad for him after I avoided him these past few weeks, and I know he probably took my text to meet up last night with a pinch of salt, too. "I'm sorry about everything."

I can't really gauge his reaction since the loudness of this shopping centre drowns out most of the phone call, but I just about catch his response. "Mia, hey. You don't need to be sorry for anything. I had no idea what you were going through."

I feel it stupid of us to be talking like this, and almost reflexively, I ask if he wants to meet me.

"At Westfield? Sure!" He replies to my offer, and I can tell that his brilliant smile is playing from his lips right now.