Part 39

FIVE YEARS LATER

Y/n was sitting at the piano and looking at the young girl. She smiled. 

"Look Gracie, let's do this one more time before mum picks you up, okay?" The little girl squealed in agreement and looked at the lyrics in front of her. Y/n started playing, and as she did, the girl started singing. After barely a minute, the song ended. Y/n stood up and helped Gracie gather her music before helping her out the door. She handed Gracie over to her mum before sitting behind the reception desk and messing around with some paperwork. She heard the bell door ring, but she didn't look up. 

"Maximoff School of Music, how may I help you?" She let out a gust of air as a small boy jumped out and tackled her into a massive hug. 

"Lucas! Ough! Sorry I didn't see you come in!" She lifted the little boy onto her lap and tickled him. He giggled before pointing his arm out to the door. 

"Mummy, they're looking for you." She raised an eyebrow as she turned around. She slowly lowered him to the floor as she stared into his eyes. She walked forward, coughing slightly. 

"Steve." Steve looked around. 

"Nice place you got here." The music school was small and filled with pastels. There was a reception, a locker area, and two small rooms. Y/n shrugged. 

"Yeah, I bought it four years ago." Steve nodded. 

"I like the name. I assume Lucas is," Y/n looked back at the small boy, who was currently trying to add as many post-it notes to his face as possible. 

"Yeah, Lucas is mine. We live in the flat above this place now." Steve nodded slowly. He paced around. 

"So you teach music?" Y/n placed her hands in her jeans pockets. 

"Yeah. Drums, singing, piano, I do everything." Lucas jumped off the office chair and grabbed onto Steve's leg. Steve awkwardly patted Lucas's head, which made Y/n chuckle. She peeled him off and sat him on her hip. She stared at Steve. 

"Look, I know you didn't come to Canada just to pop in and say hello, why are you here?" Steve looked at Lucas. 

"We might have a way to get Pietro back." Y/n almost dropped him. 

"What?" 

~~~ 

Y/n sat Lucas down on the bed. Their flat was right above the music school, and she was packing his things quickly. 

"Lucas, buddy, mummy is going to be gone for a few days, but don't worry, she'll be back soon. For now, you are going to stay at auntie Lucy's house, okay?" Steve raised an eyebrow. 

"Lucy?" Y/n looked up at him with her hands on her hips. 

"Really Steve? You expected that I hadn't made any friends in the, what, 7 years I've lived here? God, you really don't know everything. My whole life doesn't revolve around superhero stuff, not anymore." 

Y/n talked with Lucy as soon as she arrived, and she did that, Steve sat down with Lucas. 

"Hey, do you know who your dad is?" Lucas nodded. 

"Mmhhm! Mummy says he's the best guy in the whole world, and that he suuuuuper wanted to meet me, but he got stuck saving the world." Steve looked at the boy with a saddened gaze.  

"Do you like music?" Lucas nodded. 

"I play the piano! Mum says you have a song named after you, and she taught me to play it!" Steve held back laughter. 

"Of course she did." 

~~~

Y/n hopped into her car and looked across it at Steve. 

"Are you coming in?" Steve raised an eyebrow at her. 

"You want to take that?" Y/n pulled her neck back and gave him a harsh glare. 

"This minivan is amazing thank you very much. What, are you embarrassed that no car of yours will ever live up to its gracious beauty? Are you embarrassed that you will never live up to its gracious beauty? Hum?" Steve shook his head and got in. Y/n looked at him. 

"Seatbelt. I'm not letting my only chance to get my fiance back die because he thinks he looks cooler without it." Steve chuckled as he pulled the seatbelt on. He looked at Y/n as she drove. 

"You really are a parent now." Y/n nodded. 

"Yeah, that kinda just happens after you give birth and raise a child. Crazy how that works, huh?" Steve sucked in his breath as she chuckled. 

"Look, are you mad at me? At all? Because you never reached out, I thought you had just... disappeared." Y/n looked quickly at Steve before returning to the road. 

"I'm not mad at you. But, you could have reached out as well." They sat in silence for a few seconds before Y/n broke. 

"Don't worry about me. I didn't go awol. I moved on with my life, focused on Lucas. I still see Tony and Pepper, I visit Thor at least once a month, and I go to a bar with Natasha every once in a while. As much as I despise admitting it, my life is still very superhero based. I just... I thought that was going to be the limit now. Seeing superheroes and catching up. Not, being one again." Steve looked at her with a frown. 

"Thanks then. Thanks for doing it anyway." Y/n shrugged. 

"I had nothing better to do. Plus, my son needs a father, and it sure as hell will not be Bruce." Steve burst out in a flash of laughter.

~~~

Word Count: 975

OMG. OMG. OMG. Lucas. Tiny baby boy. Yay.

I know this chapter is a bit short, but here we are. 

Also, I'm finally up to date on She-Hulk and OMG I LOVE IT SO MUCH!!!!! It is so good! I cannot wait for them to release more episodes. 

Thanks so much for reading! Make sure to comment and vote, see you next week!