Part 38

Y/n was lying down on the ship's bed, the place she had been for what felt like years. She had barely moved. She had no reason to. She could hear Tony teach Nebula to play flick football, but she didn't sit up, she didn't join in, she just stayed laying down, staring at the wall. She barely ate, Stark had to practically beg her, and she barely did anything. She just laid down. She laid down and thought of Pietro. What if he had dusted? What if he hadn't? What if she never made it back to him? What if, what if, what if? Her arm had been wrapped up, but it was killing her, and yet she was silent. It was the first time Tony had seen her so quiet, and it wasn't to his liking.

She listened as Tony made his videos. They were all to Pepper, telling her about the journey back, and how they may never make it back at all. He had suggested she make one for Pietro, but she, she just, she just couldn't. So she listened. The oxygen was running low, she had been lightheaded for days. So she decided to cave. She sat down in the small corner of the ship and set up the camera. She gave it a weak smile.

"Hey, it's me. N/n. It's been a while. I honestly, I have no idea why I'm doing this. I have no idea if you are okay. I really hope you are. We tried to save the world, we didn't do it. When I get back, we may have to adjust the wedding plans. Peter," Her eyes were tearing up and her lips curled in to stop herself from bursting into tears. "Peter is gone. I hope you and Wanda are still here. I, I, I have been meaning to tell you something, and it's pretty big, but it's going to have to wait until I get back. Because I have to get back, and you have to be okay, okay?" She was sniffling as she turned off the camera. Tony was sitting right outside of the door, tearing up. He knew they didn't have much time left.

They were helpless.

Y/n opened the door and let Tony in. He had filmed a video to Pepper before she had filmed hers. She limply rolled the helmet back to him.

"Thanks, Thump." He just nodded lightly.

"No problem Squeak."

~~~

Tony was collapsed on a chair, on the cusp of death, as Y/n called out.

"Light." At first he thought she was going crazy, but he looked up, and there she was. Captain Marvel. Y/n gave a small smile to Nebula.

"Hurrah. Took her long enough."

~~~

Captain Marvel lowered the ship onto the ground. Y/n, Nebula, and Tony stumbled out. Y/n looked at the group in front of her.

He wasn't there.

Why had she bothered to come back if he wasn't there?

Tony was barely walking, and Steve caught him. Tony looked attfgra him.

"Couldn't stop him." Steve was panting.

"Neither could I." Tony stopped moving.

"Hang on. I lost the kid." Steve stared into his eyes.

"Tony, we lost." Y/n watched as Pepper ran over and hugged him.

It wasn't fair.

Pepper and Tony got to stay but Pietro didn't. Y/n blinked and let herself have a little hope. Maybe he was somewhere else, there was always the chance that he was still in Canada. She looked over to Natasha with a tilted head. Natasha just shook her head. Y/n understood.

Her world was over.

~~~

Y/n looked at her arm. She hadn't realised in the darkness of the ship how much it had started changing colour, and in the light of the Avenger compound hospital room, she was surprised it hadn't just fallen off. She watched as it was placed into a sling, and slowly walked into the meeting room just in time. Rhodie was talking.

"It has been 23 days since Thanos came to Earth." Natasha spoke next.

"World governments are in pieces. The parts that are still working are trying to take a census, and it looks like he did, he did exactly what he said he was going to do. Thanos wiped out 50% of all living creatures." There were holograms routing in front of their faces, images of those who were dusted. Tony looked up.

"Where is he now? Where?" Steve sighed.

"We don't know. He just opened a portal and walked through." Tony wheeled himself forward. He was sitting in a wheelchair with an IV being pulled along beside him.

"What's wrong with him?" Rocket followed Starks gaze over to Thor.

"He's pissed. He thinks he failed. Which of course he did, but others a lot of that going around, ain't there?" Tony looked over at the raccoon.

"Honestly, until this exact second, I thought you were a build-a-bear." Rocket looked up at Tony from the floor.

"Maybe I am." Steve looked around the group.

"We've been hunting Thanos for three weeks now, deep space scans, and satellites, and we got nothing. Tony, Y/n, you guys fought him." Tony looked up.

"Who told you that? I didn't fight him. No, he wiped my face with a planet while the Bleeker Street magician gave away the stone. That's what happened. There was no fight 'cause he's not beatable." Steve looked at him condescendingly.

"Did he give you any clues, any coordinates, anything?" Y/n frowned.

"Oh yeah, midway through trying to kill us, he just happened to mention the exact coordinates of his secret after-I-destroy-humanity hideout."

"I saw this coming a few years back. I had a vision, I thought I was dreaming." Steve stepped forward when Tony spoke.

"Tony I'm going to need you to focus." Stark looked at him. Tony was frail and weak, half the man he usually was, and there was Steve. Freshly shaven, barely scratched Steve.

"And I needed you. As in past tense. That trumps what you need. It's too late buddy. Sorry. You know what I need? I need a shave." Tony stood up, knocking several things over in the process.

"And I believe I remember telling all youse," Tony started ripping out his IV as Rhodie called his name. But he just continued. "Alive or otherwise, that what we needed was a suit of armour around the world. Remember that? Whether it impacted our precious freedoms or not. That's what we needed." Steve stared at Stark coldly.

"Well that didn't work out, did it?" Tony looked at him. "I said we'd lose, you said, "We'll do that together too." And guess what Cap? We lost. And you weren't there. But that's what we do, right? Our best work after the fact? We're the Avengers, we're the Avengers?! Not the Prevengers! Right?" Rhodie was grabbing Tony by the arms and trying to calm him down.

"Okay, you made your point, just sit down. No Tony, just sit down!" Tony was stumbling back while pointing at Captain Marvel.

"You know what? We need you. You're new blood. Bunch of tired old mules. I got nothing for you Cap!" Tony started pushing past Rhodey. He was up in Steve's face, pointing directly at him.

"I've got no coordinates, no clues, no strategies, no options. Zero. Zip. Nada. No trust, liar." Tony ripped off his electro heart and pushed it into Steve's hands. "Here, have this, and if you see him, you hide." Tony crashed to the ground.

Everything was falling apart.

~~~

Word Count: 1330

I'm not in love with this chapter, but it is what it is.

I'm sorry that Pietro got dusted. (I'm actually not that sorry)

I think most people can probably guess what Y/n was going to tell Pietro. If not, you'll find out next chapter.

Thanks so much for reading! Make sure to comment and vote, see you next week!