Part 20

Y/n watched as Wanda stormed straight to her room as soon as she got home. Pietro, who was waiting for them, stood up. Y/n was going to go to her room to change, but he grabbed her wrist.

"What's going on, what happened?" Y/n thought back to a few hours ago. She had teleported into and out of the building, again and again, to get the injured out immediately. She had gone back to help evacuate, but even with her teleportation, lives were lost. She looked up at Pietro.

"A mistake. A really easy to make mistake. A ... really bad mistake. Wanda, she wasn't thinking, I wouldn't be either if I was in her position. It's, it's probably on the news." Pietro took a step back. He was confused but got that Y/n should leave, and he should chase after his sister.

As Y/n changed out of her blood-covered uniform and back into more casual clothes, she couldn't help but sigh. She could have helped more, she could have done better. Everyone was at fault, but the press wouldn't see it like that. They would give Wanda the full blame. After getting dressed, she knocked on Wanda's door. She heard a muffled groan and let herself in slowly.

"I couldn't tell if that was a, I'm a monster, leave me alone to wallow, or a, please come in with baked goods and make the past go away, type moan. Can a girl get some clarification?" Wanda rolled over on her bed and took the pillow off her face.

"Can I choose both? I think it's both." Y/n walked over with a soft smile and laid down next to her.

"Hey, now we both have to chin up." Wanda frowned.

"What did you do?"

"Nothing. Which is a problem in itself. I was too busy giving Redwing a pat to pay attention to others, maybe I could have helped." Wanda sat up.

"Y/n, I blew up a building." Y/n lifted her pointer finger up.

"Actually, I think you'll find Rumlow did that. But let's test your theory. Who built the bomb?

"Rumlow's team."

"Who placed the bomb?"

"Rumlow."

"Who was wearing the bomb?"

"Rumlow."

"Who pulled the trigger?"

"Rumlow."

"Who attempted to move said bomb so that bystanders wouldn't be hurt, even if they weren't completely successful?"

"Me" Y/n shrugged her shoulders.

"Well, I think my tests have come to one conclusion. You were trying to do the right thing, which is a lot more than him." Y/n sat up as Wanda hugged her. She whispered quietly in her ear.

"Thanks." Y/n grinned.

"I know, I'm pretty awesome. Let's watch some sitcoms, it might cheer us up."

~~~

"11 Wakandans were among those killed during a confrontation between the Avengers and a group of mercenaries in Lagos, Nigeria last month. The traditionally reclusive Wakandans were on an outreach mission in Lagos when the attack occurred." The visuals of people being wheeled away changed to the king of Wakanda speaking at a U.N. meeting.

"Our people's blood is spilled on foreign soil, not only because of the actions of criminals but by the indifference of those pledged to stop them. Victory at the expense of the innocent is no victory at all."

Y/n watched from the doorway as Steve walked over. She took a step back and nodded for him to go in. Y/n walked away. It was time for Steve to do his thing, but she couldn't stop thinking about the king's words.

~~~

Y/n, Wanda, and Pietro sat next to each other looking at Secretary Ross as he spoke.

"Five years ago, I had a heart attack and dropped right in the middle of my backswing."

God, Y/n thought. The only thing I hate more than obnoxious old white men, is golf. She caught Wanda looking at her stifling a laugh. She gave a quick, fake frown. They had come to the agreement that during boring meetings, Wanda could read her thoughts but not her mind. That way they could both be entertained without crossing boundaries. They looked back at the man.

"Turned out it was the best round of my life, because, after thirteen hours of surgery and a triple bypass, I found something 40 years in the Army had never taught me."

How to shut the hell up? I would prefer the thirteen-hour surgery right now.

"Perspective. The world owes the Avengers an unpayable debt,"

Can I pay you to stop talking?

"You have fought for us, protected us, risked your lives, but while a great many people see you as heroes, there are some, who would prefer the word, vigilantes." Natasha looked up.

"What word would you use, Mr. Secretary?"

We can interrupt him! I thought we had to be polite. Actually, I don't want to be scowled at by Cap, better keep my gorgeous mouth shut.

"How about dangerous? What would you call a group of US-based, enhanced individuals who routinely ignore sovereign borders and inflict their will wherever they choose and who, frankly, seem unconcerned about what they leave behind?" Y/n hung her head. She didn't have any snarky remarks for that one, only a flush of guilt. A heavy, flush of guilt.

Secretary Ross stepped out of the way to show a moving map of the world. It zoomed into different places, showcasing the destruction left behind.

"New York, Washington, D.C., Sokovia, Lagos," Everyone was turning to others in shame, hanging their heads. Y/n hadn't been on the team when New York or D.C. happened, but she remembered teleporting away during New York. She didn't stop to help anyone else. She didn't want to be found, and in doing so, she missed out on saving lives, and that hurt her. Knowing that hurt her. Steve looked up.

"Okay, I think that's enough." Ross frowned.

"For the past four years, you've operated with unlimited power and no supervision. That's an arrangement the governments of the world can no longer tolerate. But I think we have a solution." He slid a thick pile of papers to Pietro at the head of the table. He looked for a second before passing them to Y/n, who didn't even bother to look down before pushing it to Wanda. Ross took a step back.

"The Sokovia Accords. Approved by 117 countries, it states that the Avengers shall no longer be a private organization. Instead, they'll operate under the supervision of a United Nations panel, only when and if that panel deems it necessary." Steve looked at the paper as it was passed around.

"The Avengers were formed to make the world a safer place. I feel we've done that." Secretary Ross looked down at him.

"Tell me, Captain, do you know where Thor and Banner are right now? If I misplaced a couple of 30 Megatron nukes, you can bet there'd be consequences. Compromise. Reassurance. That's how the world works. Believe me, this is the middle ground." Rhodey lifted his hand.

"So, there are contingencies." Ross looked up.

"Three days from now, the UN meets in Vienna to ratify the Accords. Talk it over." Natasha looked at the table.

"And if we come to a decision you don't like?" Ross walked around the table slowly.

"Then you retire." Natasha smirked quickly, Y/n almost missed it. Y/n was holding Pietros hand while biting her fingernails.

~~~

Word Count: 1301

I hate this conflict because it's so stupid, but you gotta do what you gotta do. You can try to guess if you're gonna be team cap or team ironman, or maybe even team neither. Who can say.

Thanks so much for reading! Make sure to comment and vote, see you next week!