Part 21

With the meeting formally over, everyone was doing their own thing, and the calmness in the room was slowly disappearing. Rhodey was talking with Sam while Steve started to flip through the accords. Before it could get much further, Vision interrupted.

"I have an equation." Sam crossed his arms and turned to the... robot? Droid? Magic being? Toaster?

"Oh, this will clear it up." Everyone looked over at him.

"In the eight years since Mr. Stark announced himself as Iron-Man, the number of known enhanced persons has grown exponentially. And, during the same period, the number of potentially world-ending events has risen at a commensurate rate." Steve looked up from the Accords.

"Are you saying it's our fault?" Vison sat up more.

"I'm saying there may be a causality. Our very strength invites challenge. Challange incites conflict. And conflict, breeds catastrophe. Oversight, oversight is not an idea that can be dismissed out of hand." Rhodey lookat at Sam.

"Boom." Y/n raised an eyebrow.

"That doesn't even make sense. Steve was the first, not Tony. The gap from the 1940s till Tony's Iron-Man era had no new heroes or life-ending events. Sure he came out of the ice around then, but he was all hero-y way back when as well. Why didn't the rise start then?" Sam looked back at Rhodey.

"Boom."

Nat looked over at Stark.

"Tony. You're being uncharacteristically non-hyperverbal." Steve looked up at her with a stern frown.

"It's because he's already made up his mind." Tony started to sit up in his chair.

"Boy, you know me so well. Actually, I'm nursing an electromagnetic headache. That's what's going on Cap. It's just pain. It's discomfort. Who's putting coffee grounds in the disposal? Am I running a bed and breakfast for a biker gang?" He walked over to the kitchen bench and grabbed coffee. He walked back over to the couches and placed his phone down before projecting his screen larger.

"Oh, that's Charles Spencer, by the way. He's a great kid. Computing engineering degree, 3.6 GPA, had a floor-level gig at Intel planned for the fall. But first, he wanted to put a few miles on his soul, before he parked it behind a desk. See the world. Maybe be of service. Charlie didn't want to go to Vegas, or Fort Lauderdale, which is what I would do. He didn't go to Paris or Amsterdam, which sounds fun. He decided to spend his summer building sustainable housing for the poor. Guess where, Sokovia. He wanted to make a difference, I suppose, I mean, we won't know because we dropped a building on him while we were kicking ass. There's no decision-making process here. We need to be put in check! Whatever form that takes, I'm game. If we can't accept limits, if we're boundary-less, we're no better than the bad guys." Steve looked down.

"Tony, someone dies on your watch, you do not give up." Tony looked over.

"Who said we're giving up." Y/n looked at him.

"And this isn't just one death Steve. It's hundreds, thousands even. Even after the actual battle, the destruction we leave behind makes a huge impact. And you don't even know it." Steve looked around.

"Even if it's a lot of deaths, we aren't giving up. But we are if we're not taking responsibility for our actions. This document just shifts the blame." Rhodey frowned.

"I'm sorry Steve, that, that is dangerously arrogant. This is the United Nations we're talking about. It's not the World Security Council. It's not SHIELD, it's not HYDRA." Steve shook his head.

"No, but it's run by people with agendas, and agendas change." Tony took a step forward.

"That's good, that's why I'm here. When I realized what my weapons were capable of in the wrong hands, I shut it down and stopped manufacturing." Steve shifted in his seat.