Chapter 158: Countrywide Cooking Competition

Lei Xiangren passed by the gate of the old house. He had already gone far and couldn't help looking back at the locked gate.

Zhao Shi understood his thoughts. She sighed and said between gnashing teeth, "Family head, we had been cheated by Old Five back then. If he had not coaxed us with that 100 taels of silver, how could we have decided to separate? If there had been no separation, we would have been eating and drinking lavishly in the Capital by now."

Lei Xiangren thought the same as what she said. However, he felt very disgraced getting grumbled at by his wife that he had to retort, "Old Five is just a junior officer now. How much profit can he dredge up?"

Zhu'er stood behind them with two heavy hoes on her shoulders. She secretly looked at the calluses on her hands and sighed in silence.

"It's better than staying in the recess of the mountains!" Zhao Shi curled her lips, "We're running out of money. What should we do in the future, ah?"

"What? It's going to run out so soon?" Lei Xiangren stared at her, not daring to believe it.

Zhao Shi put her hands on her hips and stared with round eyes, "Can I even cheat you? Back then, Old Five gave—"

Lei Xiangren immediately interrupted her, "Go back first and talk later! Don't you see where it is?"

The three of them quickly walked home.

"Zhu'er, bar the gate!"

"Aye."

Lei Xiangren looked back at Zhu'er, and his eyes fell on her upturned butt. He swallowed a mouthful of saliva.

Zhao Shi didn't notice as she took out the key to open the door of the main hall.

"Family head, go get a basin of water for me to wash my face. I'll get the money box."

"Get it yourself." Lei Xiangren came to his senses and remembered that matter. He ran into the bedroom and took out a wooden box from the bottom of the suitcase and opened it with the key hanging around his neck. When he saw that there were only two pieces of broken silver and twenty pieces of copper left in the box, he narrowed his eyes and yelled out, "What are you wasting time for, smelly woman! Why don't you come in?"

"Coming, coming." Zhao Shi wiped her face with a towel and said with dissatisfaction, "What's so urgent?"

"Where did you hide the silvers? I don't believe that's all the money left at home." Lei Xiangren coldly stared at her as he spoke with suspicion.

Zhao Shi was taken aback. Then, she was so aggrieved she slapped her thigh and uttered cries of anguish, "You villain! When did I hide the silvers? Don't you know how many times you take the money? Aiyah, there's no way to live..."

"Enough!" Lei Xiangren had a headache when she quarreled with him. He started to count the account with his fingers. He and Zhao Shi were always lazy. Before they separated from the old house, they seldom found odd jobs and had no money to save. At most, they just took advantage to deduct some money when Du Shi gave them money to buy some commodity or food for the family. They didn't save the money. They bought snacks and ate them in a few days. After the separation, they had Lei Xiangzhi's 100 silver taels plus 40 silver taels from selling the charcoal burning formula, all of which added up to 140 silver taels. Aside from building the new house, buying furniture, digging well, he bought Zhao Shi jewelry, bought a long-life lock for each Dabao and Erbao, bought a jade pendant for himself, paid for Dabao and Erbao's school, and made clothes for his family...

The more Lei Xiangren calculated, the more frightened he was. His body froze and his eyes were round. After calculating all of that, they only had 2 silver taels at most! To him, who had formed the bad habit of spending money lavishly, and Zhao Shi, who liked to look good in the eyes of others, this was as good as a thunderbolt out of a clear sky.