Chapter 147: A Young Man that Looks Like Qin Mian

Several coachmen made the same choice without prior discussion – stopped the carriages. Everyone hurriedly got out of the carriages and stretched their legs.

Before dark, the procession entered a county town and stopped in front of an inn.

Two very bookish, scholarly youths walked out of the inn side by side. Upon seeing Lei Xiangzhi, Huo Sirui, and the others, the youths gave them a friendly smile. Presumably, they also must be going to the Capital for the exam.

After settling down in the inn, Qin Mian and the others went downstairs to the lobby to have a meal.

The two scholars were also eating. When they suddenly saw a giant wolf standing beside the table, they were both surprised and scared. Then, upon seeing a cute little child feeding the wolf with a chicken drumstick, they could not help crying out in alarm for fear that the child would be bitten.

Manman turned his head and made a wry face at them. His crisp voice sounded naughty, "Making a fuss about nothing!"

Lei Tie shot him a glance, "Manman."

Manman stuck out his tongue, yet toward the two scholars, he showed a sweet smile. With his small hand patted White Spot's head, he said in a proud tone, "Uncles don't have to be afraid, White Spot is raised by our family, very well-behaved."

Yuanyuan solemnly cupped his fist in another hand and said in deadpan earnest with a soft childish voice, "My Didi is still young, please excuse him, uncles."

Lei Xiangzhi, Qu Zongwen, Escort Zhang, and the other guests in the inn couldn't help laughing heartily and praising their adorableness.

The two scholars' eyes were opened wide, almost petrified. Uh, are these two children truly only three to four years old?

Qin Mian rubbed the heads of the two little boys and then cupped his hands at the two men from a distance. "My son is naughty, please forgive him."

The two scholars waved their hands, "It's fine, it's fine."

After they finished eating, Escort Zhang and his three men came to Qin Mian's table. Qin Mian and Lei Tie ate slower than the others because they had to take care of Yuanyuan and Manman at the same time.

"Qin-gongzi and Lei-gongzi."

Qin Mian stood up and said, "Big brothers, have all of you eaten well?"

"Yes. Qin-gongzi, take a seat." Escort Zhang sat down on the empty bench beside him and said without being long-winded, "If everything goes according to plan, we'll pass by the Burial Flower Mountain Ridge tomorrow afternoon. Burial Flower Mountain Ridge is one of the most dangerous places to encounter bandits along the way. In the past, seven out of ten times we would encounter trouble there. Tomorrow, you two must take good care of the children."

Qin Mian calmly said, "Thanks for Escort Zhang's reminder. A-Tie and I will take good care of them."

Lei Tie nodded to Escort Zhang; the look in his eyes was calm and his breath was still like a mountain.

Yuanyuan and Manman, the two clever kids, thanked in unison, "Thank you, uncle!"

Escort Zhang didn't know of Qin Mian and Lei Tie's skills at all. In fact, he was very worried that the existence of the two children would delay them, but it was not good to say that. Now, looking at the two lovely little boys again, he put down some worries. If Qin Mian and Lei Tie had no real skills, how would they dare to take risks with their own sons?

He happily touched Yuanyuan's little head. "You're welcome. The uncles will protect you in due course."

The night passed without incident.