Chapter 058: The First Confrontation of Du Shi and Wei Shi

"Yes, yes, it's Brother Lei." That villager looked at Lei Tie again. He knocked the porcelain plate with his chopsticks and spoke with a smell of liquor on his breath. "Brother Lei, we're all from the same village. If there's a chance to make a fortune, you've to show consideration to fellow countrymen. Am I right, everyone?"

Lei Tie's expression slightly sunk.

Qin Mian raised his eyebrows as he looked at that villager.

The other people at the table were embarrassed and secretly scolded that villager for eating Lei Tie's hot pot but still running his mouth non-stop. Even if people really had a chance to get rich, they would consider their blood brothers or people who had a good relationship with them. Who did you think you are? It simply broke the harmonious atmosphere at the table.

Wu Di hooked an arm around that villager's shoulder as he said with a smile: "Brother Qiu, don't just talk. Come, let's have another toast! Or are you afraid that sister [wife] will make you kneel on a broom when you go back?"

"Who is afraid of her?" The man was stubborn, raised his glass and said in a loud voice, "Come, drink a mouthful!"

"Come, drink again!" A few others also came along.

Qin Mian sped up his eating action. After finishing, he took advantage of people's inattention to slip away, hid outside the gate of the courtyard and hooked his finger towards Lei Tie.

Lei Tie silently put down the bowl and walked over.

Qin Mian pulled him to leave for fear that someone else had drunk too much and asked them to "show consideration".

"Not full." Lei Tie honestly let himself be pulled by Qin Mian.

The sun had just set. Most people had gone to the old house to attend the wedding reception; therefore it was very quiet all around.

Qin Mian promptly said: "I'll make noodles with diced meat for you when we're home."

As soon as he finished speaking, it changed to Lei Tie who pulled him home.

Qin Mian then remembered something, "There was a woman who kept staring at us when we were eating just now. Who is that?"

Lei Tie thought for a moment, "[Paternal] Aunt."

"Oh." Qin Mian's response was flat. At the beginning of their separation from the main family, relatives from everywhere were informed, but none of them went to their house. Those relatives did not care about him and Lei Tie, let alone any of them came to help [financially], so neither did he need to care about them.

Back home, both of them felt much more comfortable than in the old house.

Lei Tie went directly to the kitchen, "What to wash and what to cut?"

"You don't have to, I'll do it." Qin Mian picked a block of pork with fairly fat skin from the beam of the house. The pork was three parts fat and seven parts lean, which was suitable for making diced meat. He cut the meat into thin pieces and asked Lei Tie to make a fire. When the oil in the wok heated up, he poured the diced meat in and constantly stirred. At 30 per cent cooked, Qin Mian added ginger powder and salt to it and continued to stir-fry. At 60 per cent cooked, he added vinegar and stir-fried. At 70 per cent cooked, he added soy sauce and Sichuan pepper. When it was about done, he added a proper amount of chilli powder and water to simmer for a while and only then the diced meat soup could be scooped out of the wok. The meat was soft, tender and spicy, with bright red oil.