Chapter 068: Into the First Lunar Month

The heat of the water gradually dissipated. Lei Tie handed a blue foot towel to Qin Mian and picked up his grey foot towel to wipe his feet.

After Qin Mian went to the latrine to piss, he washed his hands and came into the bedroom. He had asked Sister Zhang in advance about the various taboos on the first day of the first lunar month[1]. On the first day of the first lunar month, he should avoid opening drawers and closets, so as not to let wealth and fortune slip away. He opened the wardrobe and picked out the new clothes, shoes, and socks that he and Lei Tie would wear the next day.

[1] New Year's Day.

Lei Tie locked the doors and windows before coming in.

"Come, play chess." Qin Mian clapped his hands. They could not just sit there while staying up late on New Year's Eve. They had to find something to do to kill time.

Lei Tie took out the chessboard and set it up.

"You must let me put some pieces." Qin Mian's level of playing chess was average, thus he said unceremoniously.

Lei Tie nodded.

In the beginning, Qin Mian could still play very smoothly. After every file[2] was filled with pieces, he spent more and more time thinking. His sitting posture also changed from cross-legged to sitting diagonally, with the left arm resting on the short-legged table. His two legs stretched out with the two feet folded together, shaking. The appearance of his head down and frowning as he was thinking looked very charming.

[2] The vertical lines are known as files (Chinese: 路; pinyin: lù; "road") on the chessboard.

Lei Tie's eyes glanced at his bare feet. He reached out to hold one and gently kneaded it.

Qin Mian raised his head and took a glance at the man. He tried to take back his feet but was unsuccessful and let the man have his way. Once again, he thought for a moment about dropping a piece.

Lei Tie thoughtlessly picked up a white chess piece and made a move. He looked back at Qin Mian's foot. There was no flaw on his white feet and the smooth nails glimmered smoothly under the light. His five-toe bones held up obvious protuberances. It was still too thin that he could not help pinching.

Qin Mian looked at the chessboard and acted as if nothing happened, while his face was getting warmer[3]. What's with pinching a smelly foot?

[3] he felt embarrassed.

As the temperature in his palm rose, Lei Tie looked at Qin Mian and found out that he was uncomfortable. He leaned close across the short-legged table, lowered his head, and pecked Qin Mian on the cheek.

The atmosphere was too ambiguous. Qin Mian pushed his head aside and said with a deadpan face, "Play chess properly."

Lei Tie pinched his foot again and let go.

Qin Mian quickly retracted his feet.

It was a long night. Qin Mian could not endure it and yawn.