Chapter 088: Grand Opening

The dining hall of the academy sold meat and vegetable dishes but the taste was very ordinary. Huo Sirui, Qu Zongwen, and Bu Qingyun could not get used to certain food. However, the dishes sent by Qin Mian were all full of flavors and much better than those from the academy's dining hall with just a look. Zhao Tianhe and Wang Shangwen were from a family with an average financial situation; they could buy three to four good dishes a month. Hence, it led to the present scene. The monthly expense that Lei Daqiang and Du Shi gave to Lei Xiangzhi was not small, but he was a diligent and thrifty man, and seldom bought meat dishes.

"The new wine house must have been very busy. How can Eldest Brother and Eldest Sister-in-law have the time to come and see me?" Lei Xiangzhi asked. It had been two months since he entered the academy and this was the first time that Qin Mian and Lei Tie came to see him.

Qin Mian said, "Besides visiting you, we're here today to ask for your help regarding the wine house. I'll talk about it later."

Just as they chatted a few words, Qu Zongwen and the others came quickly with bowls of rice. The students passing by looked at them curiously.

Qin Mian and Lei Tie stood up to give their seats but Qu Zongwen and the others quickly refused.

"How could that be proper?"

Qin Mian unconcernedly chuckled, "It's more than proper for you all to sit and eat. A-Tie and I have one more thing to trouble you all with.''

"What's it? You two are Xiangzhi's eldest brother and sister-in-law. Therefore, you two are also our eldest brother and sister-in-law. " This was said by a new face.

Lei Xiangzhi said, "Eldest Brother and Eldest Sister-in-law, this is my new friend, Huo Sirui. He's the first top scorer of this year's prefectural examination."

Huo Sirui and Lei Xiangzhi were the same age. He had the temperament of a gongzi from an influential family, yet not at all haughty but refined and courteous, "Greetings, Eldest Brother Lei. Eldest Sister-in-law Lei."

Qin Mian nodded, "Nice to meet you, Huo-gongzi. You all eat first, and we'll talk after that."

Everybody looked at each other, "This... Won't you two have to wait a long time?"

Before Lei Xiangzhi opened his mouth, the few others no longer refused and sit down to eat.

"There's a cherry jam in it. It can't be kept for a long time." Qin Mian handed the bamboo tube to Lei Xiangzhi.

While they ate, Qin Mian and Lei Tie wandered around not too far away. After a while, the two came back when Lei Xiangzhi and the others had finished the meal. The plates were also properly put in the food box.

Lei Xiangzhi and Bu Qingyun rose to their feet to give up their seats to Qin Mian and Lei Tie.

Qin Mian took out a folded piece of paper from his sleeve pocket. "It's about this matter. Our new wine house, Double Xiang House, will be opened on the 30th. It happens that the 30th and the 31st are days off for Qingyun Academy. We're going to take this opportunity to hold small talent competitions in Double Xiang House such as poetry, painting, and calligraphy. In each competition, the top three places will be awarded 12 taels, 5 taels, and 2 taels respectively. Firstly, it's to publicize our wine house; secondly, it's to create an opportunity for self-reliance for some talented but poor students. The excellent poetry, calligraphy, and painting will also be hung in the wine house to help make a name for them."

Huo Sirui clapped his hands and praised, "It's a good idea. Maybe I can persuade my father to be a judge."