Chapter 1: Introduction

This story as told by Madison's point of view, and Tom's

It has been a crappy week. I am glad that it is Saturday, and I will be off from my job, and can just go home, lock myself in my room, and disappear until Monday reading my romance novels. I should have known my week would be bad, when I ran into the bitch Tara Ryan, who has made it her life's mission to make me miserable.  She has hated me, since junior high, and has let me and everyone else know about it.  I can't really blame her for hating me.  Though what happened I had no control over. My mom slept with Tara's father and busted up her parent's marriage. Her father moved out, and then ended up marrying a lady he met on a business trip and moving about an hour away. She was a daddy's girl, spoiled rotten, one of the girls who grew up getting whatever they wanted, no matter how much it cost, just by asking her dad, they lived in a 3-story house. I knew what it was like to lose your dad, although my dad split and never came back, she still saw her dad every Wednesday, and every other weekend, and talked to him on the phone every night. But still because of my mom, she lost her dad from her daily life, and she couldn't do anything to my mom, or her dad, I mean it was a 2-way affair, it's not like my mom forced him, or put a gun to his head, he pursued my mom, although my mom made sure he noticed her, and her body.  My mom was in the wrong, she knew he was married, but my mom didn't care. My mom had no morals. It was embarrassing. I swore I would never ever be like my mom.

After it happened, Tara terrorized me. She had all her friends join in. All I wanted was to go to school, and come home, well you can't really call it a home.  My dad split town when I was 10 and haven't heard from him again.  My mom blames me, because he never wanted to be a dad. She didn't ever want to be a mom, but accidents happen, and she has let me know that I was an accident, and a mistake.

Since my dad left, my mom has had one man after another. Some have been nice guys, some of them have been monsters. We have moved repeatedly, she moves us in to a new guy's house, then we get kicked out.  I don't feel that safe at home, and a lot of times have to lock myself in my closet, just to feel safe. 

I am grateful for my best friend, and probably only friend Emma. I have known Emma since we were in kindergarten, her parents treat me good, and they have let me know that I am welcome to stay with them any time things get bad at home.  So, I spend a lot of nights over at Emma's house.

The week started out bad, with a fight with my mom. Then I went to the store on my lunch hour and ran into Tara.  She made a fool of me in the aisle of the supermarket, causing a scene, making everyone stare. I was mad at myself, because it was my fault.  I usually am more cautious when I go in any place, look scan the parking lot, and the place make sure she or her friends aren't in there.  But I was in a hurry, I didn't have much time.

I try to avoid Tara as much as possible. She used to have her friends hold me down, and then she would beat me up, but the physical bullying had stopped ever since Tara met her boyfriend.  Who I might add, is the hottest guy in school, all the girls want to date him, but they are all afraid of Tara, and Tara is one jealous girlfriend, I mean she once beat up a girl just for lending her pencil to Tom, a purely innocent thing. Tom's pencil broke, and he asked the girl Cindy Watson, who sat next to me in class, if he could borrow her pencil.  She gave him an extra one, but of course Tara's bestie Monica saw the whole innocent thing, and then told Tara, who then acted like Cindy had thrown herself at Tom.  I hated that Tara had a guy like Tom, but of course she did.  Tara was the most beautiful girl in school.  Blonde bombshell. All the girls wanted to be like Tara.

Tuesday wasn't much better, ended up running into Rob, a real jerk.  My mom had dated his father, and for a time, I thought maybe things would work out with them.  My mom really was happy, for the first time since my dad left, and she was pleasant to be around. We didn't fight. Rob's father was really nice to me, and I didn't feel so alone, I had found myself hoping that maybe things would work out, and my mom and Rob's dad would get married, and I could have a dad. I missed having a dad, and it just hurt going places and seeing other girls with their dad. I also liked how my mom was a different person when she was with Rob's dad. She didn't drink, there were no men coming and going from the house. When Rob's dad asked us to move in, I was so happy. He had a beautiful home, and he actually wanted to do family things, like dinner, and going to games, and movies. I felt like I had a real home, and life would be looking up for me.  But wrong again. I really should have known better, than get my hopes up, and think that I could have a good life. It's just not in the cards for me.  Anyway, back to my present-day life, running into Rob of course he had to harass me.