Chapter-37

(Thanks to all my readers who are voting on my book. Your support means a lot to me!)

Y/N POV-

I'm standing in front of uncle's office after the guard showed me the way. My palms are getting sweaty. I thought it would be easy but I was wrong. I'm meters away to know the truth about my life, about my existence.

Should I go back? I'll come some time later.

I asked myself, I had come here the hundredth time throughout the day but still I couldn't find the courage to step inside. I was still thinking as the door in front of me opened and uncle put his hand on his heart, getting startled, "Gosh! Y/N, you scared me!"

"Oh, I'm so sorry, uncle. I didn't mean to startle you!"

"No, no, that's fine, dear. You want to come inside?"

He asked and I nodded in response. This is it Y/N. Just ask him about your dad and get it over with. I tell myself, trying to get out the hidden courage.

Once I'm inside, uncle shut the door behind us. I looked around and my eyes blurred within seconds. The long-hidden memory resurfaced as I saw my father's pictures all around the office. In some of the pictures, he's standing with uncle, and in other's he's standing alone.

The picture I saw in mom's cupboard was blur and old. It was so difficult to read his features but here, I could see every single line on his forehead. He's so handsome. He's so surreal.

"My dad" I whispered.

"You knew how your father looked?" Uncle asked while looking up at the same picture I'm staring at.

"I saw it in my mom's cupboard."

"How did you know that he was your dad?"

I looked at him from the side, "I just know. I just felt like it."

He smiled at me, "You felt like it," he repeated my words. "That's what I said when I skipped class with your dad in our high school."

I completely turned around at him, "What? You knew my dad for this long?"

He nodded.

"Could you please tell me, what was he like when he was young?" I asked curiously, my eyes shining.

"He was just like you." He caressed my hair and then continued. This time, there was a gleam of happiness in his eyes as if he was going to talk about the best memories of his life. "It all started the day I skipped class with him but he punched me right in the face and told me to go back but I never listened to him. I kept on following him every day until one day when he asked me why am I following him. And you know what I said?"

He asked as I shook my head.

"That I feel like it and he laughed. That day, we became best friends for life."

Before I could say something, he spoke again, "You know, he was known as 'king'. He was the man everybody feared in the school and later, in this whole country!" His smile faded a little, "But everything started fading when your mother left him."

"What? My mother? Isn't it the other way around?" That's what my mom had told me. Dad was the one who left us and then we moved to Canada. Don't tell me that my own mother lied to me.

"Did she tell you this?" he asked and I nodded. A lump formed in my throat.

"Actually, it was mutually decided when she found out the truth about your dad."