Chapter 1

". . . And they live happily ever after." I told my sister, lying through my smiling lips.

No, they don't. There is no such a thing as happily ever after.

Of course, I was not going to say that to my sleepy little sister. Who is two minutes away from her sinking into the world of dreams.

"Good night, angel." I said tucking her in. "Good night, La La." She replied in her sleepy voice.

I gave a soft chuckle at my nickname, it was actually Nila, but there was no tricking, tickling or cupcaking that can convince my bull-headed eight year old sister to stop calling me that. Sienna is the only person I have left in the world, so she can get away with it. I would do anything for her.

Ever since dad died, we had been alone. Well, you could almost say that. If you don't count in the three most powerful mafia familys in Chicago. Sigh.

You see, they have been searching for us high and low, for the past three years. Being a professional hacker like dad was, I was pretty good at hiding . So you could say they're a bit mad at me. Note the sarcasm.

I can't even count the number of times I had to change locations, names and looks to avoid them but they just keep coming back, like a really bad weed in your beloved rose bed. And I know it hurts Sienna every time we had to just get up, pack a bag and start running again. Every single time she needs to adjust to being called a different name, and having a different story. But every time it's losing her newly made friends that hits her the hardest.

It gives me great pain to see her like that, but I have no choice. We have to run. The people we're running from, they're dangerous. They want from me, exactly what they wanted from dad, and got him killed. The black boxes. That and the key to opening them.

You may say 'What in God's name is a black box?', well, to cut a story short.

They are the biggest pain in my butt.
And the main reason for calling my life The great fiasco. But they are and I have to admit, dad's greatest work. He dedicated years of his life to finding all the dirty secrets of the mafia world in Chicago, trying to destroy it. And he hid said secrets in the impossible to crack coded black boxes. And then one night he was gone, our home was empty.

I was seventeen at that time, and I knew what to do. Dad already discussed the possibility, of him getting hurt, and what I had to do when the time came. So I packed what I could, got the money hidden in various places at the house, picked up Sienna from school and we were on our way.

I sighed putting my sore and tired body on the comfortable sofa in the living room. I worked hard today, because there was a birthday party in the local somewhat small diner I waitressed in. I didn't actually need the money because dad left us with a hefty some, but I have to fit in this small town, and working at Jasmine's seems a good way to do so.

I sighed again this time fighting to keep my eyes open, and when I closed them I told myself it would be just for a second, then without my permission the darkness of slumber took over.

**********
A sharp gasp was ripped out of me as I woke up, evidently startled, I was confused as to what made me wake up while it was still dark.

A quick survey of my surroundings stated that nothing was out of place.

A chilling scream tore the silent night making my heart jump out of my chest with fright. Sienna! My panic came with the realization that the one screaming is my sister.

Without much thought I raced up the stairs and into Siena's room. The sight that greeted me was anything but pleasant. My sister's gaze was filled with tears as she was being held down on the bed by a man wearing clothes so black, that they could almost blend in with the room's dim lightning. He had one bulky arm slanted over her shoulder and another one over her mouth stifling her sobs.

As I take in the scene of my scared and restrained sister a lithe and graceful figure silently edges towards me catching me unaware. When I notice him he cages me in his arms, my back to his chest. Before I'm able to scream there is a a brief prick on my arm "There is no more running, Ms Warren. I have finally caught you."

My last thought before I fainted was Damian! I am so screwed.

Authors note

This is my first novel so I hope to get your support.
I would like to hear your opinions, the good and the bad.
Criticism is a great way of evolving.
Vote and comment.
Update coming soon , wish me luck.
Love you .
P.s The girl in the picture is Nila.