Chapter 40

The next morning we were all seated in the kitchen table having breakfast. Damein and I were avoiding looking at each other. Sienna was chatting with Shiela who was washing the dishes about her pancakes. And Liam was getting a neck cramp from looking back and forth at me and Damien sitting on opposite sides of each other not saying a word. He clearly heard us arguing last night. I inwardly cringed. Who didn't. If someone didn't hear us yelling he probably heard the glass shattering or saw the armchair flying. I cleared my throat. "Sienna. Sweetheart I need to talk to you."

Her pretty face sobered up and she dropped her fork back on her plate. "I know I'm going away." she stood up and left the kitchen. I followed after her stopping her in the hallway. She looked scared so I kneeled down in front of her.

I smiled at her reassuringly. "It's just a new school. Si. One where you don't have to pretend you're anyone else other than yourself. One where you can make friends without worrying you will have to leave and never see again."

"I know that man wanted to hurt me last night. He said so. Damien lied and said he didn't but I'm not stupid. " My face fell. I hugged her to me.

"Honey. Damien didn't mean to lie to you. He just didn't want to scare you. He knows you're not stupid." I told her.

She pushed me away a little but I didn't let go. "But you always protect me not him. I don't like him. I'm scared. I don't want to go. Let's go back. I can be Sarah again. I was Sarah last year. We had fun last year. " I paused. No more lies. No more pretends.

"Sienna. Can I tell you something?" I asked. She took a second then nodded. I smiled. "Come on sweetheart. Let's talk in the garden."

We walked together in silence until we reached the tree I sat under when Damien gave me the engagement ring. I sat down on the bench and tugged Sienna down beside me.

"Honey remember those people  that I told you about. The ones that tried to hurt us too after mom and dad were gone. The man from yesterday was one of them. That's why we had to pretend all those times. That's why you need to go to that school. They can't get to you there. Damien just wants to keep you safe. You might not like him but he wants to protect you just like I do. He was really worried about you last night.  You see this ring on my finger. He gave it to me here a few days ago. This ring means something. It means we don't have to be alone anymore. That now we have a family. I just took a while to get that through my head." I lifted my hand and ran my fingers through her silky smooth hair.

"Mom was very beautiful you know. I know you only remember her from pictures but she loved you so much. You look just like her. Sienna. When mom went to heaven...."

"Daddy got really sad." she said. Reciting what I always told her. I felt a tear slip down my cheek. "Yeah. He got really sad. All he wanted was to be beside her again. But he couldn't."

"Because it wasn't his time yet. Right, Ni? We can't go to heaven to mommy and daddy unless it was time. " She held my hand and more tears started to fall. "Yeah. Even though you might miss them and they might miss you. Honey, they'll be glad to wait to see you again. They'd want you to be safe. And happy." I cleared my throat. "Sienna. You know a lot of bad people were after us. That's why we had to pretend and hide so much. If you agree to go to this school you'll be safe. No one will be able to get to you."

She laid her head on my shoulder. "But if I go I'll miss you." I hugged her closer to me.

"And I'll miss you too. But we'll video call every night before bed and I'll come visit whenever I can." I told her. She lifted her hand and wiped at the tears running down my cheeks. I took her fingers and planted a kiss on them.

We were silent for a while. Enjoying the sounds of birds playing in the trees. Sienna sighed and lifted her head from my shoulder. "You were fighting last night." I paused. The commotion must have woken her up. I wouldn't be surprised if I woke the dead last night. I scratched at my neck.

"I was angry at him. But it turned out I was wrong. He only wanted to help." I told her.

She looked like she was mulling it over. "Remember that girl that I didn't like in my school at the beginning of the year, Keira." She said. "I pulled her hair and she cried. I felt really bad. And I got her an ice cream." I looked at her side eyed. "Are you telling me I should say I'm sorry. You should not be giving advice. You're in fourth grade. Smarty pants."

She beemed at me. "I am smart I read lots of books." I laughed. Yeah she did. She learned to read at the age of four and since then all she did was read. I hugged her closer. "I love you."

"I love you too."