Chapter 6

A knock alerted me to Sheila's presence. "Hey, darling." She's leaning against the door frame and looks like she had been there for a while. I was  so focused on the computer screen in front of me that I lost all awareness of my surroundings.

As I had predicted the second black box was difficult to open. Actually screw it it's not just difficult it's nerve damaging. It's been two days . And from what I gathered I won't be able to go any further without the first box. It's about a password or a key word hidden in the first coding.

That God damn bastard isn't even here for me to ask him to give it to me. Anyone I ask says a stern 'sorry miss, he can't be reached at the moment', I exhausted myself trying to find other options but there isn't any. Saying I'm infuriated is an understatement.

If I get half a chance I'm going to gut that selfish moth...

Jesus, I'm losing track again. Right Sheila.  "Mmm, hey Shil ."

She smiles big," I was just going to buy a few things, and I have instructions to bring you anything you want. " I stare at her blankly.

I try to clear some of the cobwebs clinging to my brain. A side effect caused by lack of sleep." Anything! Anything like what? "

" Oh, things like girl products or clothes. Any snacks you like. Things like that. Mr. Evans told me before he left to try and make you as comfortable as possible while you're working."

I feel a frown form. That is too close to the saying 'a happy cow makes good milk' for my liking. I know that Sheila has nothing to do with her bastard of a boss. So I try to keep my anger to myself.

"That's very kind of him" I say through clinched teeth while jotting down a few things on a piece of paper. She takes it with a promise to bring those things to me as soon as she gets back.

Sitting back down after she leaves I stare at the screen without really seeing it. I can feel my frustration mounting inside of me until I feel like I'm about to scream.

I push my chair back and go into the bathroom slamming the door behind me. Taking a shower might help cool down the emotions chocking me. Frustration, rage and helplessness.

For three years, I have been running from this and now that I'm here I just want it to be over with. I just want to get Sienna back and make sure that she's safe. I close my eyes and lean back against the shower stall. Letting the water cascade over me. I know no matter how hard   I try to leave this life it will never leave me. After all it's a side effect to the kind of DNA I have.

"Mommy!" I call out running towards her. She's sitting on the ground beneath the apple tree in our backyard reading a book. "Hey, sweetie." She opens her arm wide to give me a hug and I melt into her warm sun drenched body.

"How is my little princess today? "
She asks after settling me beside her. I groan," Noo Mommy, don't call me that. I don't like princesses. " My mom looks at me with brown eyes wide with amusement." And why is that, Nie ? ".

I shrug," Princesses tell princes to slay dragons for them. And that's mean. I like dragons" I say in a voice that tells mom that she should have known that already.

Her laughter rings like a clear bell throughout the garden. She smooths over my dark blond hair so much like her own and asks "What did you want to tell me when you came running just now?"

"oh, " I tell her suddenly remembering,"Kylie is going to visit her grandparents in New York. Why don't we ever visit my grandparents, Mommy. Don't I have any?".

A darkness creeps into her smiling face making her frown. "I'm sorry sweetheart, your father's parents have died a long time ago. And mine... They're.." She takes a deep breath and says with a sad smile " I guess they're dead too." 

That was the only time my mother ever talked to me about her family. And I guess I never asked again. Other family members were never on my mind because I had all the family I wanted. Every year living a different 'adventure' in a different place.

It never even crossed my mind that we were running from something until the day my mother was gunned down by those same people she told we were dead. Her family.

Later I found out that my mother was the heir to The Giovanni family. One of the three most important mafia family's in Chicago. She was betrothed to The Knight family heir Victor. But she went and fell in love with 'a low life from the gutter' also known as dad. And she ran off with him leaving a pissed off fiancé and two mafia family's tearing each other a part because of the broken merger that they poorly disguised as a wedding.

So now aside from the black boxes, My grandfather-the only remaining member of the Giovanni family-wants me as his  only heir to rekindle the relationships with The Knights and end the feud by marrying Victor's nephew Xander. Yah, so not happening grandpa.

The water turning cold brought me out of my musings so I turned it off, dried myself using a fluffy white towel and got dressed. There is no use thinking about all of this now especially that the Evans don't know about it, I remind myself. One problem at a time.