Chapter 10

As soon as Liam took Sienna away Damian wanted me to tell him everything, as promised. Be ready for some colourful lying. "I killed him because he killed my mother," I start, the best way to lie is to begin with the truth and to bile as much bullshit on top of it as you can afterwards, "She used to be a stripper at one of their clubs where they conducted business, she was recruited by the police to spy on them, they found out, she ran, many years of witness protection later, that bastard finds her" I tell him hoping to have covered all of my bases. Given the fact that the Evans have no idea who my mother was it should work, and my story of witness protection will pacify him if he looked into my history and found that I don't have much of it because of the running, hiding and a multitude of fake IDs my parents used to keep us safe.

"And why would he, after all those years come after her, if as you say she was just working undercover for the cops, that would surely have pissed them off but not enough for them to keep looking for her for years." He asks, and I can tell he's not convinced yet.

"After she left, the cops used the information she provided and raided the club", I lie easily, "many of them died that day, hence the long vendetta, as you know the mafia are not that forgiving." I make eye contact, keeping my expression open and honest.

He still looks slightly skeptical but non the less mollified. He nods, as if the subject is closed and I almost tumble in a heap on his mahogany floor in relief, but I keep it together showing nothing of what I feel.

"Are you done with the black box or not?" He asks, and I have to dig my nails into my palms to conceal my excitement. Oh, baby. It's on.

"Yes," I say with a bland look. I go and get it for him, "here you go" I say and hand it over to him. He takes it and gives my the next one to work on. With one final look, he leaves.

As soon as he's out the door I act with a speed I didn't know I had. I put the new IPOD I had Sheila buy for me on the windowsill directly under the sun. I gather a few things the black box included, shove them into the pockets of my huge black thrift shop hoddie and I'm out the door. I try to act naturally walking slowly to the kitchen, I pass a few guards in the hallway but they don't try to stop me, as usual.

Going into the kitchen I sigh with relief seeing that Sheila is not here. I leisurely make three sandwiches knowing that I still have time. I eat one and wrap the other two and hide them in my pocket.I take one of the frying pans from the drying rack and I wait. I shrug, well, you never know what could happen.

Ten minutes later, a muffled boom sound came from upstairs and the fire alarm started, that was my IPOD, It's a new underdevelopment device that rumour-has-it bursts into flames if left in the sun for half an hour, well rumour stands correct. I smile and slip through the kitchen's hug glass doors leading into the garden.

I glance around to make sure no one is in the garden but alas my good luck just expired because not one but two guards were staring at me. What did I do you ask. Well I did what any sensible girl would do. I started crying.

"Did you hear that?" I ask them sounding hysterical. They exchanged a wide eyed look that clearly said, what the hell are we supposed to do with a crying hysterical female. "I was just trying to make some pancakes" I show them the pan I was holding, "then I heard an explosion. And I heard men shouting and I think they we're headed into the kitchen." At that the men start regarding me seriously, the older of the two says, "Sam, stay here with her, I'll go and check".

I nod and act even more scared by going to hide behind Sam. I wait five seconds after he goes into the kitchen and tap Sam's back. "Sorry Sammi," I say, and I can see confusion colour his expression. As he turns I smack the pan as hard as I can into his head. Thank God he's not too tall for me to reach. I thank God again when he crumbles into a heap at me feet after looking dazed for a moment.

I stand still until the older guard comes out and I surprise him with a pan to the face as well, when I make sure that they are both out of it I search them for money and to my relief I find about two thousand on them, I discard the credit cards knowing Damian can track me easily with them.

I'm happy to hear the angry shouts and the sound of footsteps in the house because it means that most guards are in there to search and make sure they're not under attack. Now all their forces are to make sure no one gets in. And that's exactly what I need.