Chapter 17

As soon as my eyes opened my stomach started growling. I barely ate anything at dinner last night and it took a long time for me to fall a sleep. Thoughts kept churning in my head and even though I figured out what to do I still didn't like it. I never will. But it was a necessary evil.

I got out of bed, took a shower, brushed my teeth then headed out to find heaven, aka, Sheila's cooking.

She took one look at me, saw the dark circles under my eyes and put a cup of Coffee in front of me then started preparing breakfast. She added a few muffins to my usual day starter and left to buy her daily groceries after making sure I had everything I needed.

Before I even ate a single bite a shadow fell over me. Something told me that it wasn't Sheila. I sighed, "Good morning, Damian".

When I got no response I sighed again and looked up at him. He had a weird look on his face, like he was waiting for something. When a minute passed and he still didn't do or say anything I said "What!".

Did I have something on my face. I reached out to wipe my mouth and lowered my hand again when I remembered that I hadn't eaten yet.

"Seriously, what?" I asked him starting to get annoyed.

"I'm just waiting for the next lie that you'll come up with. Why Giovani was after you? Why you we're shocked to hear of his death? Why you suddenly disappeared after you found out? I'm sure you have a story ready to cover all that."

I couldn't help it. The second he mentioned lying my eyes widened innocently and the most helpless look took over my face as if to say who me. I'm so innocent and harmless that I rescue kittens, puppies and baby seals in my free time.

"Hell. Don't give me that look." He said, "I'm not gonna fall for it. I saw the damage you could do with a frying pan."

My expression doesn't fall but I tone it down a bit.

"I panicked when I saw them. And they scared me" I replied trying to look small and helpless. I might even have had a few tears lurking in my eyes. A girl has to have her fun someway.

I never would have thought pulling Damian Evan's leg would be this much fun.

Damien scoffed. "Keep it going." He said, "Do you know. You should change your last name. Cut it in have. It would suit you better".

I paused for a second. Warren... Warren...War.

I burst out laughing.

"I wasn't being funny." He commented dryly, "But I'm glade I was able to be of use to you, my lady"

After that I had to take a few short breaths through my nose to stop my fits of hilarity.

Seeing his scowl helped me get myself together.

"Are you done?" He said testily.

I cleared my throat and replied formally, "Yes, thank you. Would you like to join me for breakfast."

He scratched his scruffy chin and regarded me with narrow eyes.

I thought about batting my eyelashes at him but choose not to. I didn't want to push him too far. We had other issues to discuss.

"You don't have to be this suspicious. I really do have a few things to tell you. So sit down." I told him then added "please" as an after thought. If I was going to get him to agree with anything I said I needed to be more polite to him.

He still had that look that said that he trusted me as much as he would trust a poisonous snake. But never the less he pulled a stool at the breakfast table beside and sat down.

I got up and poured a coffee cup for him then sat down again. After a few sips of my own cup I regarded him with sober eyes the laughter that resided in them a few minutes ago wiped out by the memory of last night. "If we are going to survive this Damian. We need to work together. Really work together." I told him.

He took a few drinks of coffee before answering, "I only 'really' work with people I trust. What makes you think I'd even trust you?"

"Because." I said, then took a deep breath, "Because I know a few things that'll help you win this war."