Chapter 18

While I was talking Damian's facial expressions changed so much it should have been funny. Disbelief. Shock. Acceptance. Amazement.

I left nothing out. I told him about my mother and my grandfather as well as his plots to unite the Giovani's and the Knight's again. Through me. When I was done he grew contemplative.

"Why are you telling me this?" He said at last.

I couldn't stop myself from delivering a line that he once threw at me. "For someone who I know is smart that's quite a stupid question." I said with half a smile.

He growled my name.

I sobered a bit. "Really, Damian. I got sick of running. And now that I'm caught. I simply want out. I know that is impossible to do at the current situation. So I want it to change. Things will get a hell of alot worse before getting better. And now I know that I can't just keep standing on the side lines." I took a deep breath then continued. "I did not choose to be a Giovani. But now I will accept it. I will become the head of the family."

"And what?" Said Damian. "Run the business like old Gio did".

"No." I replied, "I will give it over to you."

"And you think they will let you," he retorted, "The only way that will happen will be if I'm your.." he gave me an incredulous look, "Do you actually realise what you're telling me."

"Yes," I told him, "We need to get married. As my legal husband they will be forced to accept you. It won't be easy but it's the best way if you consider the alternative. It's the way with the least amount of bloodshed." I explained.

"So you and I..." He started but I cut him off impatiently. "Yes. Yes. We'll get married but don't get any ideas. It will be a fake marriage. "

Just then a voice came from behind us. Liam.

"Of course it will be. Imagine you two really married. You'd either shoot her or she'd more than likely make you go into a coma caused by blunt forced trauma"He stopped then a smile spread across his face ,"due to hitting you over the head with a frying pan. Repeatedly."

I turned to him. "Was that supposed to be funny. Try not to annoy me. Remember. We are in a kitchen. A lot of frying pans reside here." I deadpanned. Then turned to Damian throwing my hands up" And can't someone have a private conversation in this house. " I stood up "Think about what I told you. Then we'll talk."

********************************

All day I tried to ignore what happened at breakfast. There was no use thinking about it. It was done. I made my choice. Now it's up to him.

I got bored sitting in my room doing nothing so I decided now that I wasn't confined to my room anymore to take a walk outside. I was surprised to find a beautiful walled up garden with a lone stone bench shaded by a huge apple tree in the other direction from where I headed when I was trying to find Sienna.

I sat on the stone bench and just looked around. It was such a beautiful place that it was almost impossible to associate it with the prison that this house was for me. It just felt so peaceful.

I took a deep breath and tried to remember the last time I felt peaceful. Truly peaceful. The last time I felt like this was well before mom died. My chest tightened and a lump the size of a baseball lodged in my throat. I hated self pity but that didn't stop a tear from sliding down my cheek. I missed my family. Sometimes if I concentrated really hard I could hear my mother's laugh or I could hear the clicking of the keyboard as my father worked.

I kept my eyes closed and didn't open them even when I felt someone sit beside me on the bench. I know that smell. " I told you to lay off the perfume". I said then felt a rough finger on my face wiping off my tears.

"If the idea of marrying me, which you suggested, is making you cry then why did you suggest it in the first place?" Said Damian.

"Don't give yourself that much credit? I will never cry because of you." I told him.

He nodded as if agreeing with me "You're too badass for that, right?" He said mockingly.

I rolled my eyes but didn't answer. He nudge my side then offered me a small velvet blue box. My eyebrows took a hike up my forehead with surprise.

"Is that what I think it is." I said.

"I won't have Liam saying you proposed." He replied with a grin.

A grin and a joke from him at once surprised a small laugh out of me. "Then I won't have Liam saying you were turned down". I said then took the box from him.