Chapter 33

Just walk. I told myself. Don't look around. Just walk.
I marched ahead like I owned the place. Like I wasn't scared to death.
While going through hell you might as well keep going.
Today we were going to discuss the terms of the will. Hopefully we can talk without any war declarations.
The two guards accompanying us since we arrived opened the huge double doors. They stood at attention. Their guns remained hidden. They didn't need them. There was at least twenty other guards around keeping their eyes on us. It was a huge driveway but with our own guards in the mix it was starting to feel crowded.
I ignored them all and zeroed in on the wall of muscles blocking my view.
"Welcome home. Miss Nila." I wasn't fooled by the gentle fatherly expression. This was a man who could take on five men in arm to arm compat and still come out the winner.
"Thank you, Mr Costello." I replied, "But this place was never my home."
His expression didn't change. He placed a hand on my shoulder. " It will be."
"Take your fucking hand off my wife." Thundered a voice behind me.
I closed my eyes. Oh hell. I knew I should have left him in the car.
"She's not your wife, Damien." Costello said.
"Yet." Taunted the idiot at my back, "Since we're here we might as well invite you to the wedding. We're going to be family. A mailed in invitation wouldn't quite cut it." I elbowed him gently making it look like an accident. Tone it down a little, asshole.

"While both of you are enjoying your little pissing contest. I might as well go in. It's freezing out here and I'm starting to turn blue." I gave them both a disdainful look and barged in knowing they'll be at my heels. I was actually feeling a bit tired. It wasn't a good idea to stay on my feet for long since I should be laying in bed recovering not galloping around pissing off Mafia families.

As soon as we entered the house it hit me. This is where my mom grew up. This is where she was born, where she learned to walk, run. Where she first knew love, hate and finally fear. I steeled myself. I will not die like her just because they decide I should die. I will not follow their rules. And most importantly I will not run. The Giovanni blood runs through my vains whether I like it or not. Might as well use it for something.

A hand at my back reminded me that I'm not alone in this. I had my warlord with me. I smiled.

Two hours in and the legalities were taken care of. Giovanni's will put me 'figuratively' as the head of the family. Since most of his fortune and holdings are now mine.  He left the rest to Sienna and a few of  his loyal men like Castello.

When we were done and everything was signed, the lowyar left. Then Costello requested  to talk to me alone. I had to sneak my hand into Damien's jacket to pinch him again to stop the death glares. I was rewarded with another glare this one aimed at me. I almost smiled. I returned it with a look that said. 'dude come on trust me'. He nodded.

Costello led me into a private balcony that looked over the gardens. "Miss Nila. You grandfather..."

"Old Gio would do fine. I don't like the idea of calling the man that caused his daughter's death grandpa." I cut in.

"Your grandfather was a very complicated man. What he did, he considered a kindness."

I was boiling on the inside. "I'm well aware that if the Knights found her before him they wouldn't have just killed her. She would have been tortured for years. Their pride wouldn't have allowed for anything else. But don't you his daughter. His own flesh and blood. Is worth more than that. He found her before they did. He could have saved her. And us."

"Those times were bad. Really bad. I'm not trying to get you to forgive him. That's not my place. But I want you to see how it was. The Fbi were breathing down our necks. Another war would have ended us at that point. He had to make that decision. Now despite the problems we have with each other. The three families are a hell of alot more peaceful than they were. Death was everywhere before the territories were divided. "

Those years were rough. Filled with chaos and destruction. Until they came up with the division. Anything related to money from money laundering to lawns became the Giovanni's. Drugs and prostitution the Knight's. While the Evans took over weapons and enforcing. The Evans were the most powerful between the families. And to protect themselves, the Knights and the Giovanni's decided to marry off their children to seal the partnership they made. And we all know how that ended.

" No. We always have a choice. He choose to sacrifice his daughter to keep his empire alive. That was his decision. Now it's mine. I wonder why he wanted me to have it. Did he honestly think it will make up for all those years without a mother. " I laughed.

" He once told me he saw something in you. A spark. A strength. I'm not going to tell you not to marry Damien Evans that's your choice. But taking over this family is your birthright. Don't just give it to him."

"I've never even met him."

"His choice as you call it protected you and your sister, even your father for years. He had an eye out for you and kept the Knights from reaching you. When the time was right he wanted to contact you."

"But Damien beat him to it."

"Yes. You could say that." he smiled at me. "We're going to be there for you tomorrow. I realize we're not you're family by choice. But you're not marrying Evans on your own. You're merging the two families. And I want you to know that we're here at your back whenever you need us." he held out his hand and I reached for it.

" Let's not keep my growly fiance waiting. We still have a lot to do before the wedding. "

Author's note

Here it is as promised. I know it took forever. But I promised two chapters every month and may is not over yet 😉
And it's longer than usual.
Who's excited for the wedding next chapter?
It's finally here after all these chapters. They're finally getting married. Yaaay ❤️