Chapter 27

"Damian is going to kill me" Liam said. For the hundredth time.

I held back a groan and the desire to palm my face. Or bang it against the car's dashboard. We were on the way back to the Evan's mansion. We were alone in the car. With another car full of guards trailing after us. He's just doing this to be annoying.
I tried for a calm reasonable voice. " I am sure your brother would not mind me buying a gun. He is an illigal arms dealer for God's sake."

"Exactly! If I had known where you were taking us I would never have let you go there." He huffed. " We sell thousands of weapons and you go and buy them from an outsider. With our money."

"Oh come on. I've known this guy for years he's got some costume made shit and some antiques on top of the guns. And I like the older guns. The classics you know. Now stop whining. "

He rolled his eyes.  "If I hadn't known Milo could be trusted I wouldn't have let you walk into his shop." 

"I know. Now stop talking and pay attention to the road before you get us killed" I told him. His phone binged signaling a message. He reached for it suddenly turning serious and I knew something was wrong. He confirmed when he said. "Nila, Slide lower into you seat. Now"

I instantly comblied . You know that idiot in all those movies that sticks up his head and says 'what!' when someone yells duck getting himself killed. Well, that idiot is not me. Duck first, ask questions later.

"What's wrong?" I asked reaching for my brand new gun thanking God I loaded it in the shop. "We're being tailed." he replied reaching for his own gun. Security spotted a car a few miles back."

"What the hell! Why did they wait until now to tell us?"

"Because the car just turned into two. And we are headed for an area with very low traffic. We need to tell Damien to send reinforcements. This could get bad. "
He told me this with a hand holding the his gun  and the other trying to work his phone while driving with his elbows.

"It will get bad you idiot if you keep trying to drive with your elbows and no eyes on the road.  You'll get us into an accident. Give me that phone. I'll call Damien for you."

I picked the phone he unlocked for me a called Damien. He picked up on the first ring. " Hey Damien, remember I kept telling you that I might kill Liam. Well, someone else might do it for me if you don't send some extra guards. "

He heaved a sigh. "Nila,  what did you do now? "

Liam darted a look at me while weaving the car expertly between traffic trying to lose tail. "This is your idea of calling in reinforcements".

I covered the phone with my hand. "What! I'm just giving him some incentive."

"Warren! Answer me God damn it!" Damien shouted. Ow. My ear.
"Stop yelling at me."

"Nila!" he groaned. " Sorry. But you're no fun. We're being tailed by two cars. My guess is the knights. And we're headed to route 26. Liam thinks we're going to be attacked after we get off the highway. Where there is little to no traffic."

"Okay. I'm coming. Tell Liam to be careful. Try not to engage them until I get to you." He said then hung up.

"He's coming." I told Liam. "He said to hold them off for as long as possible."

"I don't think we have much time for that."

"Why? What happened?" I asked trying my best not to get up from my slouch.

"They just stopped being careful not to expose themselves. That means it's go time."

.........................
Author's Note
Hey guys

More unexpected turns. For me. Not you. This chapter was unplanned really. So the picture inspired chapter is later.

I know it's short but it's better than nothing right?
Right? 😂