Chapter 29

With every step I took my mind grew fuzzy. The shouts of the men after us, the call of birds in the trees started to blend in together. Branches clutched at me, protruding roots tried to trip me. Shadows lurked at the edge of my vision. When my knees started to give out a hand reached for me. "Nila! Jesus! You're pale as a ghost."
I tried to smile at him reassuringly but my smile fell short. Cold sweat beaded at my temples.
"Liam, I don't think I can run any more."  I mumbled.

"You have to. I'm not leaving you here. " he hissed.

"You might have to. Just. Just, wait a minute." I told him trying to catch my breath.

"We don't have a minute." he shout-whispered.

I took a deep breath trying to calm my racing heart. I lifted my face to the sun letting the rays warm my chilled face. Then it hit me. I smiled.

"Shit. That's you're 'I've get a fucked up plan face.' " .

I huffed a laugh. "Hear me out. Go and meet Damien at the lake. They will never believe you left me here. They'll just go on and follow your trail. And I'll hide. Don't worry I've got this. Go" I pushed him. He took a look at my face. I don't know what he saw there but I think it convinced him to do what I said. "Be careful!" he said. I nodded. "You too. Now go."

Now it's time for my plan. I look up and up and up. I blink. How the hell am I going to climb this tree. It's huge. The voices of the men getting closer gave me the motive I needed. I started climbing ignoring the pain in my shoulder. Climbing with one arm isn't easy. "Don't pass out. Don't pass out." I whispered to myself. Every time I lifted my arms it felt like my whole body was getting electrocuted. So I decided half way through that half way through was enough.

The limb I rested on was huge hiding me from view. Not that they'd think to look up. Hopefully.

When I heard them pass by under my tree without spotting me I might have passed out despite the sounds of far away guns taking off.

A sudden rustling woke me up. I clutched the tree almost falling over. My eyes instantly searched the forest floor looking for the source of the sound.

"Where the hell did you leave her." Came an all too familiar voice. I smiled. Warlord.

"She was right here" an annoyed voice retorted. I was about to call out for them when I noticed a figure lurking in the trees behind them. Hell no! Not on my watch. A bullet to the shoulder took care of him.

Damien and Liam both turned around at the same time guns at the ready.

"Don't worry boys he's out. Can't even take a bullet to the shoulder without passing out. Pussy. Pffft. And shame on you. You should be more careful."

The look on their faces when they spotted me in the tree was comical. I almost started cracking up. But imagined laughing would hurt too much especially after the recoil from the gun made my poor shoulder smash back into the tree.

" What the hell are you doing up there?" shouted Damien. A few other men started coming towards us. I imagine those were the back up. One of them went and disarmed the fallen guy.

"I saw a little bird nest on the ground and decided to return it. Wouldn't want the birds to come back and find their home gone now would we?" I said in a sweet sarcastic voice.
Hurting. Stuck in a tree. Was in a high speed car chase. And still I would never give him a straight answer. What can I say he's fun to play with.

" No, we wouldn't. " he sneered." Now get down here now. "

I stalled. "I think I'll stay up here for a while. The view is kinda nice."

"You can't come down. Can you?" asked Liam. Fuck you, dude. I looked up at the darkening sky. Everything hurt.

"No." I conceded, "I can't."

After a few minutes of silence. Damein called my name I looked down at him. Hell
"Nila. Come on. " . I knew what he wanted. I knew it was the only way. But did that mean I liked it. No. I huffed. "If you don't catch me I'll be pissed."

"Yeah. I know." he said.

"Here goes nothing" I mumbled. And jumped. Right into his arms. My vision grew hazy and darkness settled in my mind.

Author's Note.

Don't forget to star this chapter
And comment
I love your comments
Let me know what you think
Love 😘