Trust or Betrayal

It is currently 5:50 am and Wellington is sitting at his desk awkwardly glancing down at his hands. Suddenly someone enters Wellington's tent. Wellington looks up and notices Lord Uxbridge with a warm bowl of soup and a cup of tea in his hands.

Lord Uxbridge stares at Wellington with concern due to how pale Wellington is. Lord Uxbridge starts speaking in a calm but slightly concerned voice.

Lord Uxbridge: Eat you need it.
Wellington: I'm fine...
Lord Uxbridge: You don't look well, sir...You haven't eaten in 3 days. Sir, please eat something. I'm worried about you.
Wellington: I...
Lord Uxbridge: Sir your not fine.
Wellington: Uxbridge you don't understand what it's like to feel so upset and guilty about something.
Lord Uxbridge: You're doing this because of what happened?
Wellington: Yes...I just blame myself.

Tears begin forming in Wellington's eyes and they start gradually streaming down his face. Then he begins speaking in a tone full of sadness and guilt.

Wellington: He was there for me when I needed it...But I wasn't there for him when he needed it...
Lord Uxbridge: It's not your fault sir...
Wellington: I should have stayed in England with Henry...I should have given him the comfort he needed.
Lord Uxbridge: Sir...If you didn't go to Spain or Portugal I don't know what would have happened. But you wouldn't be the leader of our Army and you probably wouldn't be England's hero.
Wellington: Stop calling me that...Im, not a hero.
Lord Uxbridge: Well the people in England call you that. Because to them, you are their hero.

Wellington: I don't seem like a hero at all so I don't wish you to call me one. So stop calling me that, please Uxbridge.
Lord Uxbridge: Other than eating something what will make you feel better?
Wellington: Seeing my wife and holding her in my arms. I know that I can't return home to see her yet. But that's all I wish to see right now is my wife. I just want to hold her.
Lord Uxbridge: I understand sir...But a battlefield is no place for a woman. You will get to see her when you go back to London.
Wellington: If she does decide to come here I will protect her Uxbridge. One of my important duties is to protect my family. Even if it means sacrificing myself.

Lord Uxbridge quietly sighs to himself and he starts speaking in a calm and pleasant voice.

Lord Uxbridge: Sir the chance of her coming here is low. She has your children to take care of.
Wellington: Your right Uxbridge...
Lord Uxbridge: You will see her once the war is over...Now, please eat something and take care of yourself, sir.
Wellington: Fine...

Lord Uxbridge places the bowl of soup and the cup of tea down on the desk. Wellington awkwardly stares at Lord Uxbridge. Lord Uxbridge starts speaking in a confused tone.

Lord Uxbridge: Is there something wrong sir?
Wellington: I prefer to eat alone Uxbridge...Unless I'm with my family.
Lord Uxbridge: Yes but it seems in the past 3 days every time I left you alone to eat you never ate the food. You just had the tea and sometimes complained about the amount of sugar in it.
Wellington: Look I don't want you watching me eat...It's awkward.
Lord Uxbridge: And I want you to eat something.
Wellington: Uxbridge, please just go do your duties I don't need you staring at me while I eat.

Lord Uxbridge awkwardly stares at the ground and Wellington quietly sighs to himself out of slight frustration. Wellington starts speaking in a slightly irritated tone.

Wellington: That doesn't count...Stop joking around Uxbridge. Please just leave me to eat in peace Uxbridge.
Lord Uxbridge: Sorry sir.

Lord Uxbridge awkwardly leaves the tent to go do his duties. A couple of hours later Voltaire is peacefully sitting on a hill leaning up against a tree. He is also cheerfully writing a page for his story.