War News

Lawrence Sundermann sits on the wooden seat in his kitchen and he glances at the newspaper on his wooden table. One headline catches his eye Preußen hat Frankreich den Krieg erklärt (Prussia has declared war against France.)

Lawrence: God damn those French bastards.

Lawrence promptly gets up out of his seat and hastily walks to his bedroom. He enters his bedroom and then quickly starts rummaging around for his uniform. He eventually locates his uniform and he starts hastily taking off his clothes and starts quickly putting on his uniform. He hastily buttons up his dark green jacket and then sits down on his bed and starts putting on his black shiny boots. He then grabs out a large wooden case from underneath his bed he opens it and he notices that it's empty. Lawrence feels frustrated by this so he quickly closes the case and puts it back under the bed.

Lawrence: That bastard Ronnie Watson must have taken my rifle out before I left. Scheiße (Shit). How dare he. He knows that I need that rifle. I guess I will go see my uncle. Besides I'm thinking of travelling with the Prussian Army. I don't want to deal with Ronnie and his nasty remarks.

Lawrence promptly gets off his bed and marches out of his room. He marches through the kitchen and over to the door and he opens it and promptly walks outside. He slams the door behind him and he then strolls over to his bike and he carefully gets on it. He starts riding his bike through the busy streets of Berlin. Two streets later he carefully turns the intersection and a few houses later he gets to a small cottage. He slows down and carefully parks his bike beside the wooden fence. He slowly gets off his bike and strolls to the door and he knocks on the door. A short man with short dark brown hair and a short beard along with green eyes opens the door and stares at Lawrence.

Peter Sundermann: Lawrence I'm assuming you have heard about the declaration of war.
Lawrence: Yes, I have.
Peter: You planning to wait for Ronnie?
Lawrence: No the reason why I moved to Berlin is to get away from my bastard brother of mine.
Peter: Where is your rifle?
Lawrence: Ronnie stole it.
Peter: I see. So why are you here Lawrence?
Lawrence: I'm planning to travel to Brussels with the Prussian Army. I want to stay away from my brother. I'm also wondering what the Prussian leader is like.
Peter: Come in Lawrence.

Lawrence enters the cottage and gently closes the door behind him. Peter and Lawrence walk over to a table and both sit down in two wooden seats.

Peter: You want to know what his Majesty is like?
Lawrence: His Majesty?
Peter: Yes the leader of the Prussian Army is also the King of Prussia. His Majesty King Frederick the Great.
Lawrence: Isn't it dangerous for the King to be leading the army?
Peter: Yes but he decides to lead the army even though he is risking his life.
Lawrence: So what is he like?
Peter: Great flute player. I have heard him many times playing his flute. I still miss his flute playing. He also seems to have an interest in poetry after meeting this Frenchman Voltaire. I didn't mind the Frenchman besides he mostly spends his time in his room writing poetry.
Lawrence: Wait this Prussian King is friends with a French Poet. The enemy.
Peter: The poet isn't a threat besides I doubt that he can even shoot a gun. However, I wouldn't suggest burning that poets poetry he would always tell the King.
Lawrence: I definitely won't be burning his poetry then. However, I know who would if he found out that there was a Frenchman nearby.
Peter: Ronnie?
Lawrence: Unfortunately. Anyways what other important things do I need to know about this King?
Peter: He does have a temper. I had to sometimes deal with him yelling at people. But luckily it wasn't at me. He also can speak French.
Lawrence: A Prussian King who can speak French.
Peter: It's common for some rulers to speak French.
Lawrence: Well it makes sense if he has to speak to that French poet.
Peter: He also has a nephew that is in the army and I think he is about the same age as you. I also think he is also a rifleman. I suggest you meet him you might get along with the young Prince.
Lawrence: I haven't talked with royalty before so I wouldn't know what to say to him. I can also barely speak around Wellington. I just say yes or no sir.
Peter: I understand.
Lawrence: Do you have a spare rifle that I can borrow?
Peter: Yes, I have. I have been waiting for a long time to give you this rifle.

Peter promptly gets out of his seat and strolls out of the room and down this short hallway. He enters a room and a couple of minutes later he walks over to the table and places a large dark brown wooden case on the table.

Peter: Your father wanted you to have this rifle once you joined the army. But unfortunately, he never got to see the day.
Lawrence: Yeah...
Peter: Sorry for reminding you of that. I miss him too Lawrence.
Lawrence: No it's fine.
Peter: Go ahead open it Lawrence. It's yours now.

Lawrence carefully opens the case and he stares at the rifle.

Peter: it's a bit larger than those Baker Rifles that you British use. But it's still an adequate weapon.
Lawrence: I will put it to good use.

Lawrence carefully picks up the rifle and he notices the old and torn black leather strap attached to it.

Peter: it's seen many battles and killed many Frenchmen. Your father wanted you to have it that was one of his last wishes Lawrence.
Lawrence: This rifle will kill many more Frenchmen. I will take care of it and I will not lose it. If I do get killed I wish to be buried with this rifle.
Peter: Your planning to travel with the Prussian army yes.
Lawrence: Yes, I am.
Peter: I know someone who can assist you with travelling with the Prussian Army. He is a good friend of mine.
Lawrence: Who?
Peter: General Oli Buchman.
Lawrence: Where would I find him?
Peter: He lives in the centre of Berlin. His house number is 583 and he lives on the left side of the main street.
Lawrence: Do I have to say anything specific when I see him?
Peter: I suggest saying that Peter Sundermann sent you and that you want to travel with the Prussian Army.
Lawrence: Alright, I guess I better go find Oli Buchman.
Peter: Good luck with the battle Lawrence and if Ronnie says anything nasty to you just don't listen to him. Try not to get in any fights with him you don't want to be in any trouble with your commander.
Lawrence: Yes I don't want to be on Arthur Wellesley's bad side.

Lawrence and Peter both get out of their seats. Peter walks over to Lawrence and shakes his hand.

Peter: Good luck it was a pleasure having you here Lawrence.
Lawrence: Thank you, sir.
Peter: No need to call me that Lawrence. Just call me Peter.
Lawrence: Thank you, Peter.

Lawrence strolls over to the door with the rifle in hand. He opens the door and walks outside and gazes at the cloudless blue sky. He carefully shuts the door behind him and strolls over to his bike. He carefully straps the rifle to his back and then carefully gets on his bike. He then starts riding down the busy afternoon streets of Berlin.

To Be Continued...