The Perfect Moment

It is currently 7:00 am. Voltaire slowly opens his eyes allowing them to adjust to the bright morning sunshine. Glancing over at the desk he notices that Frederick is calmly working away at something. Voltaire starts speaking in a cheerful tone.

Voltaire: Frederick?
Frederick: Yes Voltaire?
Voltaire: Are you free tonight? I want to tell you something important tonight.
Frederick: Yes, I think I will be free tonight Voltaire.
Voltaire: Alright so will we be able to meet at the lake tonight Frederick?
Frederick: Yes. But why there Voltaire?
Voltaire: I just find it a peaceful place to talk Frederick.
Frederick: I see.
Voltaire: Is 10 o'clock a good time to meet Frederick?
Frederick: Yes that's a good time mon ami. (my friend)
Voltaire: I'm going to go for a walk.
Frederick: Alright.

Voltaire gently grabs his crutches and carefully gets to his feet. Exiting the tent Voltaire notices Lawrence sitting on a nearby log by himself. Voltaire calmly walks over and carefully sits down next to Lawrence. Voltaire starts speaking in a calm tone.

Voltaire: Lawrence are you alright?
Lawrence: Well, I could be better.
Voltaire: What happened you seemed quite annoyed yesterday.
Lawrence: I just got in a fight with my brother. But I did report the theft of my rifle to Wellington. I should be getting my rifle returned to me today.
Voltaire: I see.
Lawrence: You seem quite happy about something Voltaire.
Voltaire: I might have asked Frederick to meet me at the lake tonight...
Lawrence: Do you know what you are going to say to him.
Voltaire: The truth is I don't know what to say. There are many things I could say to Frederick...
Lawrence: Just say what you think is right Voltaire.
Voltaire: Your right. Now I'm going to go for a walk to possibly think about what to say to him.
Lawrence: Alright Voltaire.

Voltaire carefully gets up and begins heading toward the forest that leads to the lake. Calmly walking through the forest he smells the fresh earthy aromas of the forest. He hears the many different songs from the morning songbirds in the trees. Along with the different songs, he also hears the leaves of the trees gently rustling in the gentle and slightly warm breeze. Eventually getting to the lake he hears the peaceful sound of the small and gentle waves crashing against the rocky shore. Voltaire stands near the edge of the lake staring out at the peacefulness of the forest around him.

*Voltaire in thought*

What do I say to Frederick?

Would a simple "I love you." Be enough. I don't want to be too simple but then I don't want it to be too much.

Why is love so complicated?

I'm also nervous to kiss him I have never kissed anyone before and I have never had anyone kiss me.

I suppose Frederick did technically kiss me...But that was just a dream. And besides, it seems we might have been in our relationship a bit longer. Maybe I got better at kissing.

How difficult is it to actually kiss someone?

I'm also mostly afraid of being rejected...I don't want mine and Frederick's friendship to be awkward because of the rejection...

I guess I just have to hope that he doesn't reject me.

Meanwhile over in the British camp, Wellington is happily writing something. Suddenly Lord Uxbridge enters the tent holding a newspaper in hand with a serious look on his face. Wellington looks up from his work and he starts speaking in a confused tone.

Wellington: Yes Uxbridge what is it?
Lord Uxbridge: I noticed something of concern in the newspaper, sir.
Wellington: Yes what is it?
Lord Uxbridge: May I suggest that you read it for yourself, sir.
Wellington: Is it really that important Uxbridge?
Lord Uxbridge: Yes sir.
Wellington: Alright hand me the paper.