44 | low expectations

The following morning, I was finally discharged from the hospital

The following morning, I was finally discharged from the hospital. Ace comprised with the doctors that he would keep me under careful watch. In other words, suicide watch. This time it would be excessive. I would never be alone which I didn't look forward to.

With Giovanni gone, we all were going back to Romano Mansion instead of the safe house. By the looks the others not so subtly gave me, I knew the main reason is they didn't want me to go back because they felt that I might not want to go back to the roof where I was violated. I didn't know how I felt about it because I didn't dwell on it.

I would be officially meeting the cousins today at the mansion. I was nervous about it. I knew they were nothing like their father or mother. I trusted in Alex's judgment. He was the best at determining characters. But regardless, I couldn't get rid of the dread. I had yet to get the chance to ask Alex if they knew the truth about their parents, seeing we haven't been alone together since I've last found out about it.

An arm went around my shoulder and I titled my head to find Elijah smiling down at me. "Ready to go?" He asked.

I nodded. "Definitely," I muttered. I didn't like hospitals. There wasn't much privacy in here, although it wouldn't a much improvement at home.

He chuckled, seeing the grimace on my face.

My eyes extended as I remembered something. I halted in the middle of the corridor where Elijah was leading me down to the car. He looked at me in confusion.

"Ariana?" He questioned. "What's wrong? Did you forget something in your room?"

"No," I said slowly. I fiddled with my fingers behind my back. I wasn't sure why I was so jittery today. I was getting comfortable with Elijah but right now I felt like I was back to the shy girl who I was when I first arrived. I was still shy, quiet, and alert - but only to strangers. Once I got accustomed to their presence, I get more comfortable and outspoken.

"This probably sounds stupid but I just felt bad I didn't talk to you the other day," I mumbled. "What did you want to talk about?"

He blinked at me for a moment before a small smile began to grace his lips. "You remembered?" He asked and I could hear the surprise and warmth lacing his tone.

"Of course," I said softly. "Why wouldn't I?"

"I don't know." He shook his head in disbelief. "It wasn't even that important."

"It must be important if you kicked out Apollo and Noah and dared to challenge Alex." I rose an eyebrow.

"Hey." Elijah playfully nudged me. "I'm their older brother. I have special rights."