21 | sneaking out

"Good job, Ariana!" My ten years old heart swelled at my mother's praise and I gave her a beaming smile

"Thank you, Mom." 

"You're so smart, Ariana!" She said softly, smoothing my long hair down. "I just need you to do one more thing, honey, okay?"

I sighed. "But I'm so tired!" I whined, a hint of a pout on my mouth. "I've been doing this all night!"

"I know, I know." She chuckled. "But this is so important. Don't you want to make me proud?"

I nodded without any hesitation. Of course, I wanted to make her proud. Doesn't she know my biggest fear is disappointing my mother?

"Then do this one more thing, honey." She smiled as she cupped my cheeks. "For me."

"Okay," I whispered. If I didn't do it, she would ignore me for days. I didn't want her to get mad at me. I hated her silent treatment more than anything. I hated disappointing her.

Glancing at the time, it was a bit past the four in the morning and I haven't slept at all. Rubbing my eyes and drained a cup of water in hopes of getting fully awake.

I refocused on the computer - my fingers hovering over the keyboard as the screen flashed with green numbers and letters. "What do you want, Mother?"

The corners of her lips lifted and excitement glinted in her eyes. "I want two billion dollars from the Russian Mafia."

I gave her a nod of obedience and went to work.

P E R D I T A

My heart pounded against my chest furiously as I peeked my head out of the door to scan the surrounding. Only one of the chandeliers was lightened, giving the long dim corridor a creepy and mysterious atmosphere. As the candles swayed, the whole hallway flickered along with it.

All clear.

I turned my head around me to glance at the time. It was past four in the morning. Pumpkin was sleeping soundly and all curled up in the middle of the bed as if all of the space was hers.

Taking a deep breath in a failed attempt to steady my still pounding heart, I pulled the console forward and rolled out into the hallway.

I didn't know what I was trying to do by sneaking out. Half of me felt bad about taking advantage of the wheelchair to sneak around. The other side of me told myself that it was my right if I was truly free. If I could walk normally without any pain or sluggish limbs, it would be as easy to sneak out like this.

The tiny part of my brain was screaming at me to turn back. I had no sense of where to go or what to do.

But all of this depended on me. I had to do it.