12 | the typical mafia men problem

I stared at the closed door in front of me with each pore on my entire body screaming at me to open it

I stared at the closed door in front of me with each pore on my entire body screaming at me to open it. My hand was on the knob, itching to turn it. But I was afraid that a black hole of the abyss would suck me right in if I open it. I was seriously debating if it would be easier to jump off a cliff. If someone walked up to me to offer to do that I would take the opportunity in a heartbeat.

Maybe I'm a tad dramatic.

And a coward. There wasn't much I was afraid of yet right now my hands were shaking hard because I was afraid to face a fourteen years old girl.

I didn't even know what exactly they did to her over the years. The only thing I knew is that she was whipped in front of Salvo and Noah, starved, and kept in chains in a dark basement. I've seen her arms and legs covered with scars but the bruises covered the extent of it.

A doctor had come in to give her a full check-up and whatever the doctor had found it must have been horrid because Ace went on a killing rampage for two days straight. More than two hundred people died on his hands in these short days.

Each time one of us asked what did doctor say, Ace shut us down, saying it was not our business. When one of us retorted that we were her sister therefore it's ours too, he'd replied that it's not and it's Ariana. Ace claimed he was the only one who knows because he was his guardian and he needed to be aware of these things in case there was a problem related to it in the future.

A fucking bullshit, if you ask me.

"Ares."

I jumped, being caught off guard which wasn't like me at all, and spun around to face Ace in all his cold glory. "What do you want?" I grumbled, a bit pissed someone caught me in my vulnerable state. I shoved my still shaking hands into the pockets of my black baggy hoodie.

He narrowed his eyes at me. "Watch the tone." I nodded once sharply, knowing if I opened my mouth I would tell him to fuck off which wouldn't end up good for me - especially when it's with Ace.

"We're going to have a family meeting. We have an update about Father. Uncle Giovanni and Mia just arrived with our cousins. Uncle Nico is, too. They're downstairs in the main living room and I expect you to be down in fifteen."

"Got it," I confirmed. His cold stare stayed on me, studying me intensely, for five seconds before starting to walk down the hallway.

"Wait," I called out before thinking anything of it. He halted and turned back to me with a questioning look on his face.

"Did you see Ariana after she arrived?" I blunt out, forcing myself to not dwell on it.

His gaze turned hard and I almost could see his mind whirring nonstop at my question. We stared at each other for a few moments before he eventually settled on a simple "no."

"It's her birthday," I informed him if he didn't know this. I sure as hell don't know what I'm trying to do. Words were just spewing out of my mouth at this moment.