23 | saying goodbyes

"We're going away for two weeks tomorrow morning

"We're going away for two weeks tomorrow morning." Ace informed me. "Nineteen days, to be precise." 

Seven of us were on one of the upstairs floors in the mansion. Ace had called all of us down for a family meeting -  for my first family meeting. Elijah had wheeled me to here and sat down on the couch - the end side next to me. I stayed in the wheelchair, seeing no point in getting up. We had been the ones who arrived last. Ace stood near the fireplace, facing all of us. Alex was behind him with his arms crossed. The rest sat on the couch.

I managed to master a blank face to avoid the urge to frown. If they followed my instructions, all of it should be done in three days.

They probably want to take their time to torture the Russians. The voice said and it made sense but it must be more to it. They could have easily brought them here.

"Where?" I asked, out of curiosity what they would say to me.

"Business trip in New York." He said curtly and I quickly took mental notes when he didn't meet my eyes. Instead, he looked at my forehead as he did when he told me my - father died. The guilt didn't allow him to look at me when he lied.

He could have said he was on a business trip in Greece and that wouldn't be a lie. In this way, he wouldn't be digging his own dug. I thought to myself.

Some mafia boss, the voice scoffed.

"Okay." I nodded.

"Noah will be here but he'll be working a lot. Apollo should be with you at all times." Ace gave him a pointed look at this statement. "Alex will be in charge of all three of you."

"Okay," I said.

"Do you remember how to read or write?" He asked out of nowhere and I nodded slowly, adamant about where he was going with this. I cannot be caught this fast.

"That's good because we got you a phone. To communicate with Alex if needed." He said, relaxing me. He reached out a hand and Alex put a phone in his waiting hand from his pockets. He passed it to Elijah. "Elijah will show you to use it if you struggle."

"Thank you." I aimed it at both Alex and Ace, earning two nods in return.

I looked to study it. There were four years I've missed while the technology developed. This phone was something I hadn't seen before but I knew I could manage.

I was tempted to tell them I could figure it out easily, but it would raise a few eyebrows. Apollo and Salvo were not sharp-eyed so they easily overlooked when I remembered how to use the laptop.

Ace or Alex will not allow anything to be swept under the rug when it came to the hacker who knew more than the Italian Mafia Don himself.

I wondered if I had to purposely make grammatical or spelling errors ten-year-olds make. After all, I've heard Apollo saying I had a ten-year-old mental capacity. Is that what all of them think of me?