8 | our worst nightmare

My sixth sense was screaming at me

My sixth sense was screaming at me. I was trained to be a Don from a young age, and I picked up a perfectly honed good intention. Therefore, it was never wrong. Right now, something was wrong. I felt a big bombshell coming on us like a hurricane, deep down in my heart.

I have an inkling that it won't be a good one.

I was standing in my thousands dollars suit with my mafia soldiers lined up behind me with weapons ready on their hands, looking at the location Father had sent us to. In the middle of nowhere, there was a room-sized concrete building with a high fence around it. Sharp twisted pricks were sticking out of the fence and if someone attempted to touch they would be instantly electrocuted to near death.

The concrete building led to the dungeons built under the ground.

We sent a few men to sneak in and they found it to be deserted. Empty. But there were some signs that they had been here mere hours ago. They couldn't have made it that easy for us.

Unless...

"Alex. Dante." I called for them in a monotone voice. I heard a slight rustling in my trained ears before they came to stand by my sides.

"Something's wrong," I remarked. "What do you know, Dante, that I and Alex do not?"

I could feel a questioning stare on me from Alex but I didn't bother to explain. We will find out soon enough. My suspicions were confirmed when Dante tensed.

A moment of silence passed before Dante replied. "The Russians followed their part of the deal to abandon this place and leave their captives here."

I exchanged a look with Alex. Father had gone behind our backs. I knew what he did but I needed to be sure.

I raised my chin slightly and stared intensely at Dante. He shifted on his feet a bit, exposing his guilt. I knew my presence had a deathly and dark intimidating aura right now. "And tell me, what does this deal entail?"

"I don't know much but I do know Luca exchanged himself for his children. He is already in their mercy." Dante spoke lowly so that the others didn't hear us.

A mix of emotions threatened to burst out of me but I pushed it down. It was done and there was nothing to do about it right now. Father may not be saved at this moment but my brothers can be.

I nodded. "And I was not informed of this, why?" I asked coldly.

A flash of guilt passed in Dante's eyes. "It was the Boss' final order, Ace. He asked me to give you this." He shoved his hand into his suit pants and ran through it as if he was looking for something.

He pulled out the Romano singlet ring. A ring to command the respect of the Don of the Italian Mafia.

It meant Father had formally retired and that I was currently the Boss of the bosses.