9 | void of light

It took all of my energy not to cringe at the amount of blood as I washed it off, the whole shower floor turning into light red

It took all of my energy not to cringe at the amount of blood as I washed it off, the whole shower floor turning into light red. I was accustomed to this sight, being met to this almost every day. Coming home covered with blood and washing it off, unbothered by the red water, was my normalcy. 

It still didn't bother me. 

But the fact I was washing off my little sister's blood made me want to throw up.

Each time I shut my eyes, I see her dead eyes void of light. There was no spark in these big doe eyes she used to have.

And all these years Ariana had been gone, we assumed she was safe with her mother. I always imagined her living happily with that spark of light in these green eyes still present.

I hated these unfamiliar emotions boiling inside me. It felt like the weight of the world was dropped on me. Invisible chains shackled to me were dragging me down to the bottom of the ocean with no way out. I couldn't breathe. I was desperate for the numbness again. When I've first become numb, I considered it to be a blessing. There was no conflict of heart to make my logical decisions. No dead weight to pull me down. These haunting memories of the pain I went through years ago threatened to break me down.

A week.

It took only a week to break me before I was rescued. A week was all it took to change me completely. I used to be the loudest as a child. A wild happy boy. Until Ariana's disappearance, I became the quietest one. I spoke only with my family and a few close to the family. After the kidnapping, I never spoke another word again.

For months, I was haunted by the past, barely went out of my room, and the night terrors terrorizing me each night. I couldn't take it then came the numbness. Piece by piece my walls went up until it was solid hard. I did not care about anything anymore. I didn't even feel the love or affection for my brothers. All of the bad feelings were gone and the good ones followed.

Then came my thirst for blood. The need to be in control overwhelmed me. I needed to be powerful and feared, not the pathetic broken boy out of control that I am deep down. I've done things that even Ace would hesitate to do.

To become worst than my personal demons were my way of overcoming my struggles. I had become from a scared boy to the most feared man.

Now, it's all pointless. It's all crumbling down - along with me.

The only thing that was keeping my fragile façade was Ariana. I knew there was a long path of healing was set for her. A very long one that would take years. My experiences were nothing compared to hers but I knew I was the only one who would understand a piece of it. How it feels to be trapped in the darkness filled with pain.

I would help her overcome her demons and perhaps finally get rid of mine for good.

At this moment, with my battle with the unfamiliar emotions, there was a light that stood out. Love. I loved Ariana and I would do anything for her.