34 | all of your faults

I sat down on the cushion in my office in the tense and deathly atmosphere

I sat down on the cushion in my office in the tense and deathly atmosphere. Father was sitting on the chair, Elijah leaned his hips on the table next to him, and Alex stood in the middle of the room with his arms crossed.

All of us were soaked in blood with the rage encasing us. 

Each time I try to fool myself into thinking I had my composure, I can't stop myself from lashing out. A piece of anger went along with a dead body with the bullet from my handgun only grew tenfold in its void.

A river of blood and dead bodies had grown rapidly over the past forty-eight hours. We had just finally been logical enough to sit down, the darkness within us trapped behind our skins again, and dig into the answers. We needed the whole truth right now.

I had also fooled myself into thinking that my worst nightmare already passed. The reality punched us in the face. Repeatedly. Then another one was in its play, at this moment.

"What are we going to tell the others?" Elijah questioned quietly but firmly, breaking the tense silence.

I tilted my head to Father, allowing him to answer. 

He drained a half-full glass of scotch. "I don't know." He said simply, making the anger come up to the surface again. I took a deep but discreet breath to calm myself down.

"Ariana was raped under our roof and that's all you have to say?" I spoke, void of emotion. I needed someone to blame when there was no blood to shed around me, after hours straight of pure killing and torturing.

I heard a few sharp intakes of breath from Elijah and Father from the blunt statement. Alex's features hardened even further.

"Last time I checked," Luca snarled as he defended himself. "you're the Don and therefore responsible for her. I was kept as a captive."

"Yes," I said, pushing down all the guilt that threatened to drown me whole. "I take the full responsibility for my purposeful ignorance. It is only because of you. I asked before all of this happened to mere speak to Ariana and you refused ."

"We still don't know if it's one of them," Luca said, shaking his head. "Step in my shoes, Ace. You're asking me to believe that the brothers that I grew up with, played with, fought, and make up with, raped my daughter. Anyone would have a hard time. Give me time to allow all of it to sink in, boy."

"Oh?" I marveled. "So you think it is a mere coincidence that the traitor is one of your brothers, under the same roof, Ariana was scared of them, you and uncles used to play in the tunnels, he just happened to be in the same wing where he was not allowed to be in —— it just adds up with every single fact. That man lying in a coma is your daughter's rapist." 

I stood up and pointed a finger at him. "I told you if anything happened, it's on you."

He shot up on his feet, tipping his chair backward, and slammed a fist on the table. "I do not care about your new title, Ace. I'm still your father and I will not tolerate this disrespect."