3 | light to their darkness

FOURTEEN YEARS AGO

FOURTEEN YEARS AGO

A twelve years old boy paced around the hallway in a clinic in the Romero mansion feeling helpless as he listened to her mother's screams for the past few hours. Her mother was in labor and the doctors had just told him that there was a chance her mother and the babe wouldn't make it. The baby was coming one and a half earlier than anticipated. 

The boy did not care if her neglecting mother died or the fact he had no concerns about her mother's wellbeing made him a monster. He, along with his other five brothers, basically grew up without a mother. Raised by a nanny while his father was working, he never saw his mother around except at mealtimes. The only thing she did for him gave birth to him and his brothers.

But he did care about the possibility that he could have a baby sister. Finally, a girl in this family where all of his brothers and cousins were only boys. 

"Alex Romano, halt your pacing and listen to me." Alex's grandpa spoke sternly. He halted, of course. Aldo Romano was not somebody to disobey. The ex don of the Italian Mafia was intimidating and had a dominant aura. In Alex's twelve years of life, he never once saw his grandpa smile or a glimmer of emotion. He was the Devil, the most ruthless don to ever lived. Not even his father, the current Don of the Italian Mafia who trained for his whole life could follow into that steps.

His brother Ace, as the eldest son and heir, wanted to be his grandpa when he became one. So did Alex, though he was the third eldest son. He wanted to be involved in the illegal side as Ace and at fifteen years old, he would be. Normally, killing and torture were forbidden for teenagers until they were seventeen. But Ace was different, as the future Don, he started training earlier.

So is Alex - since he was going to be Ace's second in command. Elijah didn't want to be the second in command and preferred to handle the legal side of the family business. So Alex stepped in as the future Underboss and he honestly didn't regret it.

"Your constant worrying is annoying, Alex. It won't be any help when it comes to saving your sister."

Well... that was blunt. Alex thought.

"I know. I just feel so helpless." He frowned, running his hands through his hair.

Alde gave his grandson a stern look. "So am I." Alex gave him a shocked look. Alde's face was hardened and cold as always. His grandpa never gave away any hint he might be feeling at the moment. He was beginning to think he did not feel at all.

And now? He just admitted he was feeling helpless as Alex was. He had to pinch himself. Ow. Not a dream.

"But showing it freely won't save your sister. And you are scaring your younger brothers."

Alex looked around where Alde looked up to a side of the hallway. His four younger brothers hurdled together, their eyes wide with fear. The twins had tears streaming across their cheeks. Thirteen years old Elijah, the second eldest, was trying to comfort them. Alex's heart clenched.