43 | storm inside me

AUTHOR'S NOTE
So I've been seeing some reader comments mentioning that Ariana's doing too much with Ares' credit cards and the soup to Ace. Mind you, I'm very protective of my dear main character. (should I be concerned that I'm angry for my own character in a book I wrote??)

You readers are entitled to your own opinion, of course, but I think this is an important thing to mention. 

If you expect your moral standards to be met, you WON'T find them here. This is a literally MAFIA book. Some things are bound to be grey, so if you want a book with perfectly good characters with a hero complex or sm, you might want to avoid books that partake in illegal things.

It's just unnecessary to comment on things like Ariana's 'doing too much when you literally clicked this book knowing the family business is based on murder and stealing 👹

Anyway, let's go back to the story!

I spoke too soon. I've should know nothing happy in my life lasted long. Especially when I knew no matter how much I forgot about it, the night always came regardless. My comfort of darkness that came in sleep no longer existed. They came to invade my mind and to bring the lights with monsters into my once only solace.

My eyes snapped open, chasing away a new flashback of Kodiak's cruel smile as he watched the other monsters slice my skin open all over my twelve years old body. His laughter when I screamed. I imagined that my scream was music to their ears. My eyes were the only thing I could order to work.

The growing heavy weight pressed against my entire being down and the gravity increased tenfold. Tears sprang into my eyes as I desperately tried to move. I would gladly take any twitch of muscles but my body refused to budge, no matter how much my brain ordered it to move.

I could hear the voices in my head screeching in my ears and feel the phantom touches on me, taunting me - deepening the conflicting storm inside me. My mind was of a raging storm, thunders roaring in my ears, and the freezing hard rain pounding upon me. In the darkness, I could see the light coming from a few pairs of eyes. They were staring at me. Right above me where I lay on my bed, the sharp blue-eyed man - Kodiak - was staring at me merely inches away.

I stared back at his cold icy eyes with my wet and teary ones. My body wanted to shake violently in fear but still, it wouldn't follow. My whole skin and the bed were soaked in sweat. My lips were clammed shut, no sounds coming out. No reaction except for the terror evident in my eyes and soul.

The invisible weight suddenly let go, the voices faded and the bright eyes disappeared, encasing me into darkness once again. I relished in the comfort of the void of light. I could breathe and move again. I scrambled up until my back hit the headboard behind me. I did nothing but just breathe and wriggle my toes and fingers.