41 | your greatest secret

The awkward silence followed as I slurped on my spoon loudly only to fill in the void

The awkward silence followed as I slurped on my spoon loudly only to fill in the void. It was five minutes since we has begun to dig into the soups and nobody had said a single word. Ace focused on his soup with his eyes darting around time from time. Alex was standing still in the corner of the room. Luca struggled not to stare at me all of the time. Nico, still on his hospital bed, shuffled and changed his position from time to time out of uncomfortableness or nervousness. The air was thick and I felt like I was about to suffocate from it.

Ace was still acting normal, under my discreet watchful eyes.

How long does it take until the weed takes effect on him? I should have asked Alex beforehand. Ace was a large man so it probably takes a long time to overtake his bloodstream, mind, or whatever how weed works.

"Ahem." Nico cleared his throat and we all turned to him. "What about we play a card game?"

"That's a good idea!" Luca beamed with a forced awkward smile. His excitement was a bit overdue and I could see he was trying hard to clear out the awkwardness in the atmosphere. "Ari, do you want to play?"

"Okay," I didn't see any problems with it and it would be nice to have something to thin the tension.

"That's boring." Ace said with a scoff, taking another sip of his soup.

Luca slowly tilted his head as he was halfway to the doorway, presumably to get cards. His brows knitted together. "I didn't ask, boy."

"I think Ari here would prefer twenty questions games." Ace murmured.

"I don't know what that is," I said and Ace proceeded to explain to me the basics. Basically, you ask a question, and everybody in the room answers. We would take the turns to ask.

"That does sound more fun." I marveled. Luca sighed before coming back to his seat, which he pulled closer to our table between where I was sitting on a chair opposite Ace on the couch.

There were shuffling sounds and I glanced at the bed to find Nico dragging himself out of the bed. His face was covered with a discreet wince of pain.

"Do you need help...?" I asked hesitantly, knowing I wasn't strong enough to prop him up on the way here. He declined my help. I had a strong suspicion that it was for the sake of his 'man' pride.

Nico managed to get himself his chair and set himself on it between me and Ace - opposite Luca. He swayed slightly as if he was dizzy. His head injury probably still hurt.

"Stubborn old fucker." Luca muttered.

"Look who is talking, you older fucker." Nico retorted, making me stifle a chuckle.

Ace burst into laughter and the two old brothers looked at him in shock. Probably because Ace didn't laugh often. They joined the laugh, and so did I since I seem to can't help myself. Even Alex let out a chuckle or two.