28 | a secret for a secret

It was deathly silent and the tension was high in the air

I saw the countless emotions flashed across Ariana's eyes before it was dead set on terror. My stomach recoiled and I wanted nothing more than to hit myself. I didn't think how this would scare my little sister. Sometimes she acts so fine that even I forget she just got out of four years of hell mere few months ago.

I wanted to tell her that I didn't blame her. That I was filled with a skyrocketing pride when I realized Ariana was the hacker. That I was proud and everyone would be grateful that she'd chosen to use her skills to save Father when she could simply do nothing.

I honestly couldn't wait to see Ace's face when he finds out his own fourteen years old sister made fool out of him. To find out that the hacker had been under his nose while he was out there wasting his two weeks to find the hacker. To ponder on the ways to torture the hacker for keeping Ariana's whereabouts a secret when it was Ariana herself was the 'culprit.'

I laughed out loud for the first time in years when I found out.

I've suspected for a long time she was far smarter than all of us deemed her to be and that she knew more than we did. She was clever and far more mature than she was supposed to be at her age.

For my Mafia duty, I was the charge of the torture chambers, mafia soldiers, and our spies. Because of it, I was an expert in spying and that's how I picked out my suspicions about Ariana easily.

In Ace's absence, he'd asked me to apply Ariana to school. We had yet to decide if she should be homeschooled or sent with Salvo and the twins. Most of us preferred her to stay because we didn't know how she'd react to it. But some had concerns that she would become lonely and wanted her to have friends her age. In the end, we decided to talk to Ariana first before making the final decision. Regardless, Ace wanted Ariana's name to be on the list just in case.

When I've gotten her files from her old school to my shame, I've expected her to be average. The doctor who came in before had informed us she had the ten years mentality - since her mind stopped developing when she was locked in darkness.

But the doctor was half wrong. Maybe she stopped learning four years ago but she was not in the ten years old mindset. I didn't feel much but I was shocked to find her IQ high, even more than mine which hurt my ego a bit but still me proud nonetheless.

She was taking junior classes in high school when she was kidnapped. Out of the level the subject she reached, math science had the highest score.

It was easy to connect the pieces by then. Ariana was with the Russians for four years where she could easily get her information related to the submarine, she was a genius and she was one of the only ones who could sneak into the office under our noses.